Perch Talk

Trevor Sage

Reaction score
Hi ya,
I currently fish at twin lakes near faversham that is alleged to hold the previous perch record of over 5lb, i can catch loads of small perch but the large ones elude me. any ideas?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Live baits if allowed,try and see what small fish are in the water and use them for the bigger perch. spinning, or a couple of big lobworms.

Trevor Sage

Reaction score
Cheers Baz,
Unfortunatley no live baits allowed or lures, i must admit i did put a very small dead rudd on my hook on a bolt rig and it was only out for a few minutes then the rod jumped off the holder but the bait had gone completeley, i will have to go with the Lobworms if they stay on the hook barbless only im afraid.

T

The Monk

to get lobworms to stay on barbless hooks push a small piece of rubber band over the end of the hook once the worm has been threaded

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bring youre hand down gently over its head, as if you were stroking it over its dorsal fin.

T

The Monk

failing that, get your best mate to handle it.

Ive have problems getting spiked from both Perch and Channel Cats, both times I`ve got blood poisoning and had to get an injection!

N

Neil Laing

Hello all,
funny the subject of Perch has come up as I had a good catch last Sunday by chance.
I got 5 fish the biggest 2 were 1.5lb and 2.5lb. The biggest doubled my PB, I was fishing for anything that came along with maggots and hit the shoal by chance. Didn't even know there were good size perch in this lake as everyone seems to go for carp.
I am keeping quite about it and will have another go this Sunday.
I got the fish just feet from the bank, the 2.5lb was near an over-flow pipe.
I feed maggot hemp and wheat. Also got a 6.5lb carp, small cruscian and 8oz roach.
Got broken up once as using 4.75 pre-stretched hook length and tried to stop a carp getting in the pads.
I would say it must be a good time to go for Perch so give it a go now!
Neil

T

The Monk

you find this a lot in carp lakes Ian, I caught some lovely tench, rudd and crucians on the carp society`s Horseshoe Lake, in the large these species tend to be ignored.

C

Chris Bishop

All the ones I've caught have been by accident, the odd one on lures, probably three or four a season on lives next to features.

People I know who fish for them usually use small lives or lobs.

P

paul williams 2

Trevor, my advice to you would be find another water if you want a big perch, it's been done on the one you are fishing and chances are the water has changed....hence the small perch.
Jason Fisher, you recommend sprats for big perch? have you caught them often on this bait? personaly i don't rate them at all....and generally speaking deads are better in coloured water (such as comercial lakes) where the big perch scavenge as well as hunt.

J

jason fisher

i've caught on them and seen other people catch on them paul, this is the time of year to use them until the end of the river season in march, i can only presume the perch get used to picking up the winter casualties between now and then.

Jeff

Reaction score
Perch fishing to me is something that you can keep as simple as you like or make as complicated as you can...

I reckon I had more success with larger than average Perch when I was a youngster. Why? because you would not be affraid to veture where the fish were no matter how stupid you may look...

Only owning a rod each at that age, which was set up for the Perch, my friends and I would use a sticks with a meter length of line, a couple of BB, and a size 20 hook baited with a single white maggot. This would catch the Gudgeon that lay tight against the reeds that lined the River Lea where we fished...

Immediately above us was the lock, this is where the big Perch gathered, right up inside the chamber... Out would come a Gudgeon to be lightly lip hooked bellow a good stick float that could take the lunges of the live-bait. This would be shot with a single Swan-shot (SSG) about 3/4 of the way down the line.

Excitedly we would run the short distance up to the lock wall and drop the live-bait in and wait... Some times for minutes, more often just for seconds before the float would dive and a prime, beautiful Perch would be the prize... We would normally take a couple each a session with most of the fish often exceeding the pound mark. The best I ever had, which still stands as my PB to date is 2lb 10ozs...

Today as an adult, I would not been seen dead sat on top of the lock wall, but why? Cause it just isn't done, is it...?

Food for thought though, as sometimes I think of those days gone by and wonder if I should get down there for an early session to see if the magic is there...

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
hi all

in regards to perch, i know that even small ones can be greedy, but please tell me how do you unhook using the disgorger when the fish has dam near swollowed the hook right down being fairly new i dont want to damage the fish.

Thanks Mark

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right then Mark.
Hold the perch with one hand by gently brushing the dorsal fin down with your palm.

Then you need to keep the line tightish with your other hand, and gently slide the disgorger down the line by holding it with your thumb and forefinger, until you feel the hook.

To help prevent deep hooking, do not fish too far over depth as perch will allways swallow the bait down if given too much line on the bottom.

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Baz.
Can you help again?
Can the hook ever be too far down the fish to risk trying to get it out, and if so what do i do just cut the line and leave it, ?? because i don't want to damage the fish in any way.
Thanks Mark

J

jason fisher

if you can't see the hook your indication is wrong, but also if you can't see the hook it's best not to prod about all over the place you won't do the fish anygood, just cut the line as close as possible to the hook then nurse the fish back to health.