Perch & Zander advice

swede

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I want to use my 1.75 Barbel rod for some fishing for Zander and perch. Live and deadbaits. I got 10lb mono on at the moment which i think will do the trick.
What leader material should i go for? If pike is in the area…
Any special type of floats/rigs? Ive got a Bite indicator and bobbin aswell, but I guess that works better for deadbaiting hehe.
TIA

Simon

Philip

Reaction score
If there are Pike about then you need to go with wire or a Pike proof braid...Wondertress was good braid that resisted Pike but they dont seem to make it anymore.

I would fish lighter rods and line for Perch than what you have. Everyone will have a slightly different take on rods & rigs so speaking very generally about Zander in particular....

Rods will depend on the type of fishing your doing and venue your on …e.g lake or river… Do you need a lot of lead to hold bottom.. Do you need to make a long cast…what size of bait.. etc etc but its also easy to get too hung up on these things as well …I would say a Barbel rod of 1.75 is going to be fine at least as a starter rod. 10lb line sounds ok to me too.

Regarding rigs most of the blurb about Zander is around low resistance. I have messed around with quite a few different setups for them, paternosters, popped up baits and so on but nowadays (& people may laugh) ..I quiver tip for them. I have a couple of heavy feeder rods of 14 & 15 foot that are just spot on for Zander in larger rivers. I am not a big fan of drop off indicators and trying to get bobbins to balance in a flow is a pain. Quiver tipping took a lot of the fuss away and it works well. I usually fish a straight running lead and a single hook or a very small treble so its very simple stuff. I try and keep my baits near the bottom, I don’t like them say midwater & I prefer to use small freshwater baits. A Roach head can be good. If you can catch and use them fresh then even better.

Zander are often associated with aborted takes which is why there is a heavy leaning towards low resistance setups but I think a lot of aborted takes are more down to Zander having small boney mouths than anything else.

Some people seem to do will using circle hooks, again not something I am a fan of but others say they work well. Night & low light is associated with Zander and this is the prime time to fish for them although that said on one venue I fish the best conditions appear to be literally mid afternoon on the hottest sunny days so you never know.

For Perch as I mentioned before I would tend to fish lighter, my general setup would be something like a 1.25 rod and 6lb line fishing a small livebait under a float either free roving or on a paternoster type setup. Prime time is again low light so dawn and dusk although I would expect them to trail off feeding as it gets dark while Zander will continue feeding into the night.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I do not wish to hijack this thread but where are the 1lb plus perch. On most , if not all, of my waters , small perch are as numerous as small roach and Rudd but I have never caught a single one anywhere near or more than 1lb. I use a DV 0.75tc rod using worm, maggot and prawn but to no avail. Surely perch grow bigger.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I do not wish to hijack this thread but where are the 1lb plus perch. On most , if not all, of my waters , small perch are as numerous as small roach and Rudd but I have never caught a single one anywhere near or more than 1lb. I use a DV 0.75tc rod using worm, maggot and prawn but to no avail. Surely perch grow bigger.
Bridgewater Canal , if you know where to look . Statham Pool . Both on the Warrington card .

mikench

Reaction score
When Gordon and I visited Statham pool it was unfishable because of weed and over flowing banks. We saw pike though but both of us blanked. It did not inspire us to revisit.

John Aston

Reaction score
My experience is that if you have lots of small perch you are more unlikely to find bigger ones than in waters where perch are typically 8-10oz but much fewer in number . If there's any risk of pike I use wire . I mainly lure fish for perch , and use Surflon 11lb knottable wire - pricey but excellent , and it doesn't put the perch off at all . Drennan also do knottable wire - but it is bloody awful stuff and kinks far too easily .

swede

Reaction score
I would try to use some lures. If it aint winter or the fish are really static I think lures are a better option for perch. Livebaiting is a different matter imo.
Im living in Sweden where lures really dominate for all predators.

A Texas rigged craw usually get the bites for me. Got me a 2lb+ the other day. Also, ive noticed when watching a lot of videos on youtube that most people tend to use really small baits. I wouldn’t be afraid to use bigger baits. Of course the most important factor is to locate a water where you know there is big perch. When we search for new waters we usually look for lakes that has a lot of crayfish.
All best

John Aston

Reaction score
I do a lot of lure fishing for perch and I love it . Mobility is key , and if the fish are at home and interested you will know first cast . In warmer weather I use jigs (typically 2-5 g) and hooks in size 4 to 1/0 . In cold water , drop shot is better as you can fish slower and deeper- I use a weight of 5- 8g and hooks from 6s to 2s.

Lures ? It's common to use huge great things but I rarely need to - and as a bonus I have noticed I get the same, or perhaps more decent pike on perch size lures as I did on the big shads I used to use. And for both species a big barbless single is so much easier to deal with than an array of treble ironmongery , and better for the fish I think .

Patterns - I have loads but simple paddle tails in yellow , silver , gold and green are nearly always effective . I increasingly use crayfish/ creature baits, and the key thing to note is that lures which look like an exact model of a crayfish simply do not work very well , or often at all. The reason is simple - look at a fleeing crayfish and it is an amorphous green/grey/black lump and lures which replicate that look are deadly . I use Urban Prey crayfish in black/red, black/yellow and watermelon (green/red) . I cannot over -emphasise how slow you should fish lures - newcomers tend to reel them back as if they are Mepps or they furiously sink and draw dropshot rigs. Work the worm , not the weight the Americans say - and they are dead right.

I have even had crayfish lures taken static - it happened again yesterday , as I am starting my 'winter perch campaign' as I'd say if I had a weekly column in Angling Times . I'd also be able to say I was 'field testing ' lures , rather than just trying summat new