Pinkies

mikench

Reaction score
I meant gozzers Alan but thanks for the reply . It looks like I shall have to forego this delight. I might buy a Colmic tub Kev. On the Pêcheur.com site there are, understandably, recommendations in french and the term " gozzers" is used. It's origins must be English.

Reaction score
In actual fact its quite an easy process,a biscuit tin(not plastic),some newspaper,clean bran and the cheapest big chicken breast/quarter you can lay your hands on,sit in your garage in a cool place and watch the meat like a hawk,when a large grey (bluebottle) lays a blow of eggs,say 5mm round,wrap the meat tightly in several layers of paper,a small bit of sellotape to hold it,then put a layer of the bran at the bottom of the tin,place the parcel in and fill the rest with bran,place the tin in a cool shaded part of your garden with a heavy weight on it(foxes,cats etc),leave for a week and open it,put the bran on a maggot riddle and you should have your gozzers which have left the parcel to clean themselves in the bran,when you open the tin first its probably best to look in the clean bran in the corners of the tin,just to see the maggot is out,this method is pretty well stink free and clean....

rayner

Reaction score
The method I was taught was quite similar to how you did it whitty. The only difference was we used Woodpigeon, sawdust instead of bran. I'd sit on the back step waiting for a favoured blow. Everything else was very similar. We did wrap the pigeon in newspaper then a loose wrap of chicken wire to hold the paper in place.
The trick isn't to get too big a blow from the right fly, waft all other flys away. My dad would say where's our Gaz, my mom would say he's sat on the back step hunting flys. This was in the 60s, 70s.

Reaction score
The biggest problem I had with woodpigeon was that apparently they carried a blow from a different insect within they're plumage at times,which produced a very large larvae,one which i found useless to fish with but ate an awful lot of the pigeon,bigger than wasp grub(queen ones),leaving the gozzers smallish....maybe if the pigeon was cleaned it would have been better,not keen on butchering birds and mammals though.

rayner

Reaction score
A very good friend used to get me a pigeon pretty regularly, in fact, most weeks. He used to skin them after he shot them, apparently they skin very easily when they are fresh.
Any that didn't go for gozzers my dad used to eat, he loved them.

Don't need gozzers now, commercial fish are suicidal especially when it's warmer.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you want feeder maggots, leave a few empty dog food tins around .when open them to feed said dog dont remove the top completely, when empty push lid back onto tin leaving slight gap and sprinkling of bran/sawdust in bottom, then wait for feeders to hatch out.

mikench

Reaction score
Kev that report clinched it so I've ordered 2 round ones in different sizes so one will fit in the other.

I needed a treat, I'm easily led and I'm very disturbed so a couple of pinkie nets fitted the bill perfickly.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Kev that report clinched it so I've ordered 2 round ones in different sizes so one will fit in the other.

I needed a treat, I'm easily led and I'm very disturbed so a couple of pinkie nets fitted the bill perfickly.

Go in sainsburys and get the fine mesh bags for 30p each similar size to a travel wash bag, fine mesh not even a squat would wriggle through it.
You could dye them orange, put guru stickers on them and sell for at least a tenner.
For any carp anglers ,these bags are also ideal for air drying boilers.

rich66

Reaction score
Go in sainsburys and get the fine mesh bags for 30p each similar size to a travel wash bag, fine mesh not even a squat would wriggle through it.
You could dye them orange, put guru stickers on them and sell for at least a tenner.

They are great I’ve got a few, ideal for all sorts.

mikench

Reaction score

Good idea Mark and I have a few. They are white without logos and I'm an unashamed tt. :cool:

seth49

Reaction score
I always liked the look of those mesh bags they have at Primark that they supply to put your purchases in before you pay for them.
Look like they’d be good for weighing fish etc, tried to buy a couple but they wouldn’t sell any.