Pole fishing

R

Rodney Wrestt

It is difficult in some swims Wend, that's why I suggested keeping the rod in the holdall, but at least you were still catching.

When you get a roller and you are in a swim like this again, you can put the roller to your left or right and when you get a fish on, play it untill you feel it's ready to come in then move the pole tip to the side and ship it back slowly. When you have enough sections to the side you can take them off and leave them on the roller whilst you land the fish with the top kit seperated from the other sections.

Keep at it and it'll become easier, it's all down to getting used to handling something 4 or 5 times longer than an average rod.....oooerrrr :eek:)

W

Wendy Perry

Been again tonight and had quite a few fish out but, could pick my swim and i obviously didn't pick the banking one. I do enjoy pole fishing but have so many questions about rigs and stuff. Is there a decent book or video around rodney that could maybe show me from scratch how to set up rigs and things ? ( what would i do without you hey ) :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Is there an easy way to thread your line through some of the very fine float rubbers when making rigs ....???

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wend,
Improve your Coarse Fishing did a series with Bob Nudd on pole fishing, it covered all species and all types of venues and the kit/setup required for each and how to use it. The series ran for about a year and then they put it all together into a book, it's called 'Bob Nudd's Guide To Pole Fishing' and costs less than ?10 (?7 I think) you can get it from W.H. Smiths in the sports book section. It will teach EVERYTHING you could think of about pole fishing from arranging your peg and setting up the seatbox, to feeding and using the tackle. He also has a load of videos and they are worth watching (try pound stretchers for the guide to canal fishing and a few other older titles). If you need any other help just ask and if I can help I will.

Eddie,
I use a baiting needle to thread on setions up to 3" or 4" for the top of my whip, you can thread on a few pieces and slip them off as you need them.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Some of the float rubbers are too fine for a baiting needle ----Its when you are making full rigs I mean --not for the top of the whip

R

Rodney Wrestt

What about one of those diamond shaped threaders used for threading a needle, the ones which hold the thread in the corner and fold flat as they are pulled through the eye of the needle?

Or a cut down diamond eye pole threader.

S

Stu Black

Wend, for the price of postage you can have my copy of bob nudds pole fishing book. it really is an excellent read but i've taken everything i can out of it.

(why do i give everything away? I just dont have a business mind!!!!!!!)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Stu,
you're a very nice man.

don't suppose you have a spare 4x4 jeep or riverside cottage going spare do you :eek:)

Eddie,
Hope the threader works.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Stu,
I mean that in a rugged manly sort of way.....ahem :eek:)

W

Wendy Perry

Stu thanks very much where do ya live ?

Rodney thanks babe !

W

Wendy Perry

I been into town and bought the book it's fantastic cheers rodders!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Glad to help out Wend, do you have the address for the Used tackle web site or did they not give it to you when you phoned them, did they say how long till the site was up and running?

W

Wendy Perry

He said about a month and i presume they will print it in the Angling times but if i get it before you do then i'll let ya know . Don't think i need a roller now when i bought my box the guy gave me like an arm thing that comes out in front of ya, and you put a roller type thing on it and it takes all the weight from the pole.

R

Rodney Wrestt

That one will help when you are using the pole Wend, but you'll still have to do the same as you were when brining the pole in, the small roller in front is like a rod rest for helping to support the weight whilest you feed the swim and things like that, (you wouldn't play a fish with the rod in the rest as you need to direct the fish away from snags and apply pressure to make it go in the direction you want). I think you will still be better off with the free standing roller to take he sections when playing a fish and shipping the pole back, but it really depends on how far out you fish, if you fish about 6 or 7 sections of the pole then you only need to take of a couple of them and you can do that easily without the roller, it's only when you are using more and trying to remove 4 or more at a time the roller becomes more essential as it takes the weight off the sections behind you and supports them to let you take them apart easier, it also keeps them off the ground so passers by don't tred on them.

Tight lines.