Preston ICM feeders - rant

The Sogster

Reaction score
Bought some of these last week, 2 x pellet feeder and 2 x hybrid method seduced by the interchangeable concept.

What a crock of crap they are.

I visited a local commercial fishery yesterday and the first four fish cost me all four feeders!
The feeders were free running to a quick change bead, but after every fish the feeder had obviously pushed up the stem taking the very loose fitting tail rubber with it and sliding off. This was evident because all 3 items (qc bead, stem and tail rubber) were separate when the fish were landed.

I understand the need for tether free rigs but this was really poor performance in my opinion on a snag free open water from tackle supposedly made for the situation.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Were your quick change beads ICM or ICS ?
There is a subtle difference in stem size.
I have used both the ICM and ICS feeders and not had problems with loose tail rubbers or feeders sliding up the stems .
Did you fit the feeder on the stem so the face of the feeder is flush with the lip on the stem.? The tail rubber pushes down to a snug fit on the ridged part of the stem.
I have had the feeder slide off the the quick change bead only because I had used the wrong one for the feeders .
i.e the ICS on ICM feeders or vice versa.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I will stick with Guru as they are interchangeable and straightforward.
Mike, I use the guru. X safe where allowed.
The Preston are interchangeable, go from maggot feeder to cage feeder to method feeder to pellet feeder to straight lead .
As I posted before they do the ICM and ICS both same design but the quick change bead peg is different diameter.
What I do with mine is remove the short stem they come with and replace with a longer stem .
Regardless of what set up you are using , ie method or maggot , the longer stem gives better stability in casting.

seth49

Reaction score
I only use the ICS feeders nowadays never had problem with them, I keep my feeder rods made up, and I like being able to take the feeder body off so there not banging against the rod in transit.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I found the ICS beads too fiddly so use Drennan method connectors instead with ICS feeders. Great system, though not used ICM. I have also converted guru feeders to use on the ICS stems.

mikench

Reaction score
The hybrid,method , maggot feeders I use are in line , x safe and elasticated and approved on all my waters Pal.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The feeders were assembled correctly with the correct ICM beads. These and the stems are with the dustman.

I have replaced them with the Guru offerings which can only fall off if the mainline breaks.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I use the Preston maggot feeders, but I remove those fiddly beads (as the dealer told me most people do) and rig up my own stopper and hook length attachment.