Probably a stupid question, but...

C

Chris Bishop

Anyone tried popping baits up and have any success..? Baits get stripped in a few minutes flat by the crabs on my local beach, will fish like bass go for a pop-up..?

alan

Reaction score
tried using floating beads if thats what you mean?

they can slow the crabs down but they still strip the bait eventually. i have caught fish using the glow in the dark type.

C

Chris Bishop

Sort of, thinking more of getting a squid a couple of feet off the deck. Tried tonight and never had a bite.

T

tom riordan

Wrap your squid up in shirring elastic like a sausage and it slows the crabs right down, but they will get your bait eventually, twitching the bait every couple of minutes helps as well , moving the bait around doesnt bother bass at all.

J

jason fisher

i've had bass on float fished bait 3 foot deep so you should be able to pop it up a fair way.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
But remeber most crabs can swim. Pulling weed of the top of the rig once while stood 100yrds fom shore in 3 foot of water when i lifted the rig to rebait hanging on was the crab the bait could'nt of been more than 6 inchs under the surface.

chris hall

Reaction score
stick your hook through the crabs arse then fish it under a float.keep the float moving slowly in good method for bass pollack and wrasse,keep the crab a couple of feet off the bottom so it looks like its swimming.
i tried this in scotland to see if it would work...and it did.its a good way of utilizing those bait robbing crabs,hard backs can be used also as long as they are not to big.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I read an article years ago in an American Magazine about using a bouyant plastic jig for sea species very similar to the way a plasic worm is fished for Black Bass, a freshwater species.

It was a variation of what is called a "Carolina Rig"

A leader of about 3 feet is used below a 3 oz lead. The lead drags bottom and the bouyant lure pops up. Very good for Bluefish.