prussian carp

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As far as I am aware Shakley Mere had 3 large ones in .
The EA managed to get them out and euthanise them .
As for catfish, a lot of fisheries that stocked them are now suffering from undercut banks .
I know of one that stocked them along with some good sized carp to create a speci lake .
It got a cat 2 disease and is unable to remove the carp and cats that seem to breed prolifically and sell them on . The banks are undercut . The owner is repairing them when he can and some parts are out of bounds due to being unsafe .

Aknib

Reaction score
I always assumed Prussian Carp were merely Brown Goldfish and of which i've caught a few but those in the OP bare no resemblance to what i class as them.

The bad one

Reaction score
Perhaps Mr Williams would tell us what his fishery management qualifications are, from where and when they were gained? And whether he has every worked for the EA, NRA, River Boards and/or any other body connected to fishing or the government?
Oh I nearly forgot to ask how many Scientific Papers are you listed as an author co-author, Brew Boy, very important is he!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
There was some interesting studies done about introductions of Wels Catfish & one of the suggestions was that in some cases they can actually improve the situation in terms of diversity by taking a dominant species out of the chain & leaving a niche for something else to fill.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There was some interesting studies done about introductions of Wels Catfish & one of the suggestions was that in some cases they can actually improve the situation in terms of diversity by taking a dominant species out of the chain & leaving a niche for something else to fill.
Utter disaster as far as tench fishing is concerned on several local pits.

Keith M

Reaction score
The reservoir upstream of our lake had Wells catfish illegally stocked by some prize idiot(s) and unfortunately they spread downstream and into our estate lake.

Our estate lake was a brilliant mixed fishery with quality Tench, Crucians, Roach, Rudd, Bream, Perch, plus a few Pike and some nice Carp. Now all we can catch is Carp, Wells catfish and Bream (for some reason even the Catfish don’t like Bream :) ) and all the other species have almost completely disappeared.

Be warned! Stock Wells Catfish and watch your fishery go downhill rapidly, it certainly ruined our mixed fishery.

The only good thing about the catfish was that in addition to our fishery being totally ruined by the catfish; we now no longer have a foreign Crayfish problem.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I think the point the studies I mentioned were alluding to Keith (I'll link them if I can refind them) was the introduction of an apex predator can remove something out of the food chain that was dominating & allowing something else that was impacted to thrive.

Dont get me wrong, I am no fan of Catfish and I would not stock them and certainly not in an enclosed mixed fishery of the the type you and Mark are mentioning. However based on my own experiences on some of the rivers I fish the spread of Catfish and subsequent reduction in a very large Bream population has meant the fishing for some other species has got better.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I agree with Philip regards the bream. You don't find them in huge shoals in the rivers that I fish. When I have observed bream feeding it is usually one or two fish. In the rivers I don't find chub or roach shoals either, just small groups. Also barbel seem to become singletons from around 5lb upwards. I don't see the sort of shoals of mature fish that I experienced on the Wharfe and Trent. In my local lakes tench are absent, but that could be because they are basically formed by damming the sort of rivers that wouldn't have held them.

Catfish are a game changer and my belief is that the smaller the water, the greater impact they will have on fish stocks. Personally I would eradicate them even if it meant draining the lake as is done here. And I would eradicate the idiots who illegally stock them!

Keith Williams

Reaction score
A journey of a thousand miles starts with just one step. They haven’t eradicated any to my knowledge nor have they done much , if anything about pollution in our waters, the discharging of untreated human waste and a myriad of other matters. Can you name me one significant and permanent achievement by the EA.
Maybe it would be helpful if you can tell everyone what you have done personally to help improve fisheries and protect them from invasive fish that threaten the native Crucian Carp.
Having a go at the EA is a cheap shot as you know quite well that they are so under resourced with government cut backsthat even your own MP signed off to in the last financial debates in the Debates of Parliament.
So many fail to act when matters occur and blasting away from the keyboard with gallons of Apathy and critiscm shows all as to what your really made of.
In reality, too many fisheries are wrecked at the hands of the clubs and syndicates who are full of self proclaimed experts who haven't a clue about fishery management and this goes hand in hand with stocking activities, including receiving stolen and illegally transfered fish, many of which wreck native fish genetics.
Suggest you research the real problems and in the process, give your MP a kicking!

mikench

Reaction score
My MP is a disgrace and I have told her so and continue to vent my feelings towards her party. I did the same to her predecessor . I have done precisely nowt as it wasn’t my job, I didn’t have the time and that is what I pay taxes for. I have never seen a Prussian carp and rarely catch a crucian. I wish I could say that the EA has done anything tangible either despite that being their remit or part thereof. We still have signal crays and if our rivers and lakes continue to be polluted all our fish stocks and the insects and other invertebrate they feed on are on the road to oblivion. I pay my dues to my clubs, do the occasional work party and comply with their rules. I continue to pay my taxes and obey the law. What have you personally done which we should applaud or raise our caps to. If I wasn’t an occasional angler I would still be aghast and dismayed at the dumping of untreated human sewage into rivers , lakes and seas. They might not have the funds but they do have a voice and could use the media to castigate their paymasters at every instance. I might be hard of hearing but I cannot hear them at all.
What I do or don’t do won’t help anyone. It’s the ENVIRONMENT AGENCY and the clue is in the name, that shares the responsibility for our environment and they continue to fail.
Go on tell us that your paucity of posts, averaging less than 3 a year is because you are too busy saving the world. What exactly do you do that you castigate us for that makes a difference? No fish, Prussian or otherwise can live in polluted water.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
In reality, too many fisheries are wrecked at the hands of the clubs and syndicates who are full of self proclaimed experts who haven't a clue about fishery management and this goes hand in hand with stocking activities, including receiving stolen and illegally transfered fish, many of which wreck native fish genetics.
Suggest you research the real problems and in the process, give your MP a kicking!
I'll ask you again, Perhaps Mr Williams would tell us what his fishery management qualifications are, from where and when they were gained? And whether he has every worked for the EA, NRA, River Boards and/or any other body connected to fishing or the government?
Oh I nearly forgot to ask how many Scientific Papers are you listed as an author co-author, Brew Boy, very important is he!
Or are you one of them apathetic *iss and wind type of people that just likes slagging everybody off to cover up your own inactions?

The bad one

Reaction score
Oh I read something yesterday about United Utilities going on the "Shitwash" offensive about the Bolton Sewage Works and how it will cut by 90% the turd patrol going down the river Irwell. They'd even had my mate in from the Mersey Basin Campaign to show him how good they are and it will be.
In the Shitwash war they have now appointed 2 River Rangers with vans and written on the side the propaganda goes like this.... River Rangers
Cleaning, cleaning and caring for North West's Waterways

Yep sure are 77,000 pollution incidents and shit discharges last year alone!