Puncture proof barrow wheels

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi. Do any members know a firm that makes 14 inch puncture proof wheel with the same sized axle as the MK2 C*** P***** barrow. Not the smaller 10 inch wheels that go with the Tri-porter. These 10 inch tri-porter wheels have a very large bore that is far too big. C**** P***** do not stock these 14 inch puncture proof wheels any more. They told me these wheels are overly expensive with the bearings. Thanks

Last edited:

Old fisher

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I've looked at loads of wheels online but the axle holes all seem too wide in the bore The bore I need is approx 13mm, but the wheels I've seen have about 20 + mm bores

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Buy just the tyre, ensure that it is for a road-going trailer. Then put in Halfords cycle puncture stopper - comes in an orange bottle and costs about £10. The tyres that come as standard with fishing barrows are useless.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Buy just the tyre, ensure that it is for a road-going trailer. Then put in Halfords cycle puncture stopper - comes in an orange bottle and costs about £10. The tyres that come as standard with fishing barrows are useless.
Thanks. I need 2 wheels, so I have to get the complete wheel, Hub/Tyre for a fishing barrow

Old fisher

Reaction score
The wheels come with inserts to make a large bore smaller.
Hi mikench. I managed to find two with the inserts like you said, so I think I can bring this post to an end. Thanks to those who have offered advice.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I'm temping fate here, but I've never had a puncture and mine is yonks old....

Old fisher

Reaction score
The only reason I asked about puncture proof wheels was that I can no longer carry items because of shoulder problems. Therefor, I'm turning my barrow into a three wheel job. The wheels that come with the tri-porter kit are pneumatic and I did not want to be halfway round a lake and get a flat tyre and need to struggle with my tackle/barrow.

GT56

Reaction score
I find pumping up pneumatic tyres a real issue with the length of valve stem making it a difficult fiddly job, especially on the smaller wheels. I've always thought the Achilles heel on any trolley/ barrow is the pneumatic tyre. Foam filled or solid tyres would be my advice if you want to avoid a deflating experience.

nottskev

Reaction score
I put the inserts Mark W mentions - a tough strip that fits between tube and tyre; iirc these were bright red - decades ago on Boss trolley wheels, and I never had a puncture after. The same wheels were adapted for an Octbox for another 10 years, so they certainly work if you can find anything like that for your barrow wheels. In recent years I've used a lightweight Fox trolley with foam wheels, and these are in no way inferior, even though it's claimed by some that pneumatic wheels are best.

There are right-angle adapters that can make it easier to pump up tyres where the valve is baffled, but it's annoying when you need to buy extra products just to get air into tyres.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
After a puncture on my barrow tyre, a couple of months ago, I swapped it for a solid tyre I bought from Aldi a few years ago, I am going to change back to a pneumatic at some point as I find them easier to push.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I put the inserts Mark W mentions - a tough strip that fits between tube and tyre; iirc these were bright red - decades ago on Boss trolley wheels, and I never had a puncture after. The same wheels were adapted for an Octbox for another 10 years, so they certainly work if you can find anything like that for your barrow wheels. In recent years I've used a lightweight Fox trolley with foam wheels, and these are in no way inferior, even though it's claimed by some that pneumatic wheels are best.

There are right-angle adapters that can make it easier to pump up tyres where the valve is baffled, but it's annoying when you need to buy extra products just to get air into tyres.
That's the ones, bright red. Yes, a pain to get the pump on the valve. I'll look for the valve adapters now I'm using my Boss trolly again.