rag worms

M

michael rouse

I tried it because I was skint and tipped off my sandeel baits with a small chunk of rag. Caught whiting.

Rag is supposed to be used live and should be changed frequently. I highly rate small sandeel at this time of year. Just give it a go.

G

greg campbell

hi michael thanks for the information i freeze every thing else and just wondered if rag was the same.... tight lines

alan

Reaction score
not alot of good after freezing, better off buying some before you go, dead worms(dead for 1-2 days at most)can work very well after a blow.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The darned thing bite!

They remind of poisonous centipedes.

UUUggghhh!!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Turn to mush when frozen. If you live near the sea you can keep them in shallow trays and change the water daily. In the past i have considered setting up a tank to keep them in as i live 30 miles from the sea.

G

greg campbell

Thanks for the information lads has any of you used these prawns that they are talking about and if you have do they realy work and where do you get them

G

greg campbell

hi brian they are indonesion prawns there was an artical about them in this months sea angler

G

greg campbell

its on the inside page I have tried seafarmed prawns that do work deadly on the whiting and doggies

alan

Reaction score
dried dog c**p woukd work deadly for doggies and whiting.

they are meant to work for bass, rays etc, because the are a tough prawn they are meant to survive a cast intact.
try your local fish mongers, asda, tesco those sort of shops normally sell them.

G

greg campbell

hi alan have you tried them what are the best way to present for the best results by there self or tipped with something

alan

Reaction score
no i havent tried them.
seen a few threads on some other sites, a casting instructer was belting them out, and reelinf them in intact, people have caught on them.
in asda they work out about 30p each.
also called tiger prawns.

J

jason fisher

you can't use tiger prawns as bait that would be a real waste of good grub get em on the barbie.

you're supposed to nip the head off ragworm alan to stop em biting you, they don't half sting if you get the juice in a cut though.

alan

Reaction score
it was Ron who mention them biting Jason.
i find a size 2 hook throgh the mouth stops them biting.

J

jason fisher

i do apologise alan you are correct it was ron whingeing.

G

greg campbell

thanks lads I will keep my fingers out of the way unless I put them on the barbie

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
BBQ ragworms are not a bad substitute for chicken legs, less chance of salmonella poisoning, but you have to put them on the grill the right way otherwise they just fall straight through the gaps.
Tesco have just started selling frozen tiger prawns. ?3 a pack of 10/12 cuaght a doggie on one a couple of weeks ago. Next time I'm after whiting I shall try them as a tipping bait, I have every confidence that they will help