Record Pike from Chew Valley lakes

Philip

Reaction score
Monster!...and lovely looking fish too judging by the photos.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I read this story, here is a picture of it. what a fish!
427897374_414086447854344_4592030201738914961_n.jpg

John Aston

Reaction score
Jeez - is it now the law that no angler dare smile , or even actually look at the camera? It's tiresome humble bragging , as if smiling at the capture of such an amazing fish were a weakness , and devalued the occasion.

Say Cheese FFS !

riverman

Reaction score
Jeez - is it now the law that no angler dare smile , or even actually look at the camera? It's tiresome humble bragging , as if smiling at the capture of such an amazing fish were a weakness , and devalued the occasion.

Say Cheese FFS !
yes i was thinking that john.i was grinning like a cheshire cat when i caught my record 27lb 11oz carp some years back. :rolleyes:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score

Say Cheese FFS !

I'd never have thought that in a million years. In fact, one of the reasons I gave up reading Trout & Salmon, years ago, was because it was cover-to-cover ego-photos of gormless Cheshire-cat-grinning idiots with their prize catches. Just be happy for the guy... I'm sure he is, and deservedly so.

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Say Cheese FFS !
He could have been in shock or shitting himself! :)

chevin4

Reaction score
The problem with Chew is that a baitboat is virtually essential. For me it removes a fundamental skill from fishing namely casting. Its a bit like using a machine to put the golf ball on the green. If guys want to use them fine good luck but not for me.

nottskev

Reaction score
The problem with Chew is that a baitboat is virtually essential. For me it removes a fundamental skill from fishing namely casting. Its a bit like using a machine to put the golf ball on the green. If guys want to use them fine good luck but not for me.

Curious why the baitboat is necessary. Is it the range to reach the fish? Some reason why you can't cast?

chevin4

Reaction score
Curious why the baitboat is necessary. Is it the range to reach the fish? Some reason why you can't cast?
Talking to one of the guys who fishes regularly you need to get around 120yards plus out the water close in is very shallow

pl71

Reaction score
Looking at the first photo I thought it was Ten Hag.

stunning fish and what a record.

Woofy Chivers

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat with what chevin4 says about Chew being very shallow close in. I’m no expert but have fished it twice from the bank and once from a boat. There are a couple of areas that are very deep close in , Wally bank and near the boat house / restaurant. If you fish with wind behind you with a drifter/ vane type float it’s surprising how far it will drift. But the pike are after the big shoals of roach that are in there so if they come close to the bank the pike won’t be far behind them. Like I say I’m no expert but in my opinion a bait boat isn’t essential. Last winter I was lucky enough to get a cancelled boat with my mate Rog and I had a 35 lb er and he had a 38 lb monster ! And if I recall we weren’t far out where we caught.

chevin4

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat with what chevin4 says about Chew being very shallow close in. I’m no expert but have fished it twice from the bank and once from a boat. There are a couple of areas that are very deep close in , Wally bank and near the boat house / restaurant. If you fish with wind behind you with a drifter/ vane type float it’s surprising how far it will drift. But the pike are after the big shoals of roach that are in there so if they come close to the bank the pike won’t be far behind them. Like I say I’m no expert but in my opinion a bait boat isn’t essential. Last winter I was lucky enough to get a cancelled boat with my mate Rog and I had a 35 lb er and he had a 38 lb monster ! And if I recall we weren’t far out where we caught.
Interesting !! Why do you think that bait boats are so widely used there.

Woofy Chivers

Reaction score
Not sure to be honest Maybe it is shallow close in on a lot of areas. The areas I mentioned are at the dam end so perhaps the rest of reservoir may be shallow close in. The area that me and Rog caught our big pike was at opposite end to dam and we were only approx 50 yards from shore. If I remember correctly it was about 10 foot deep. So I honestly don’t think it’s necessary to use a bait boat on Chew but like I’ve said before I’m no expert. On some carp lakes I’ve fished in past everyone seems fixated on fishing to the horizon. I do the opposite as I love fishing the margins. It makes sense to me as getting presentation is easier to get right close in plus accurate baiting is simple. I’ve caught many carp fishing next to reed beds or simply dropping rig next to Lilly’s a couple of foot from bank. Each to there own at the end of the day.

@Clive

Reaction score
But if the water is shallow close in you can only set the bait's depth at that otherwise the float would be anchored, not drifting. Then in the deeper water the bait may well be set too shallow to be effective.