REDDITCH VINTAGE TACKLE FAIR UPDATE

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
Its always good news when this tackle fair comes around. John Andrews with his team of helpers were on the ball and ready at the Abbey Stadium for 6pm trade set up on Saturday.

Eager traders and collectors charged into the hall like the OFF at the Cheltenham races.

TT team were in and set up in short shift, building a new look stand using our stepped display units made by Trevor of decoblanks of Birmingham. A bespoke maker and as displays for fishing tackle are hard to come by, we can give him a “highly recommended” star for quality and speed of manufacture, thanks Trevor.

Steeped in history in the needle and hook making industry some of the world’s best known makers, Allcock’s, Rueben Heaton and others of lesser fame traded from the Redditch, Birmingham area.

Most people attending the fair are collectors with the majority involved in the coarse fishing scene. Bespoke makers, artisans and collectors who may just want to trade out a few items are all present.

Redditch-photo-1.jpg

All the visitors we met at our stand are already customers of, or know of, Thomas Turner.

Tom and Lynne from Germany joined the TT team for the day chatting about his upcoming book Reel Crazy and meeting with other collectors.

We displayed a varied selection of reels encompassing fixed spool and trotting reel models. Allcock’s Aerials, Richard Walker Mk4 carp and Avon rods in glass and cane are always popular to fish. Hardy Altex, Mitchell 300’s and J W Young centrepins are a favourite with buyers too.

We have many customers who call us prior to the event asking for items to be taken along for further consideration and purchase.

It’s this aspect of the Fair most collectors find useful. You can spin the Aerials, test the bail arms, enjoy handling and discussing wood and brass antique reels, all very tactile and collectable.

Many items were brought to us for valuation on the day and we bought a considerable amount of antique, vintage and good quality modern tackle.

Redditch3-1007x800.jpg

My favourite buy, a brand-new, old shop stock, Hardy Graphite Match rod with labels and tags, Mitchell 300 Anniversary reel, Shakespeare President multiplier in box, Abu Cardinals, Hardy Altex and Hardex reels. Antique brass salmon gaff by Farlow. A Patent folding gaff with nickle fittings, a wonderful antique little keep net with ash bank stick, various Allcock Aerials Hardy fly reels and accessories.

Paul Morgan and his grandson Dewi (David) joined the TT team and friends for an evening meal or “meeting” as we call it. The downside being I was landed with with the bill as last man standing.

Redditch4.jpg

If you’re thinking, who will value or buy my fishing tackle? its Thomas Turner.

Can I trade my unwanted tackle for pieces I do want? yes, come to Thomas Turner.

This Friday 20th of May I am heading over to Lincolnshire on a buying trip. On Saturday 21st I will be teaming up with Dave Coster, TT consultant of match angling fame, to carry out a valuation day and talk tackle and tactics in the Horncastle Angling Centre LN95AW.

We encourage you to bring your surplus tackle, antique or modern for a valuation or to sell to us on the day. My direct number is 07548 871985 so give me a call!

Horncastle-valuation-day-flier-v3-566x800.png

The post REDDITCH VINTAGE TACKLE FAIR UPDATE appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...