Reel repairs

keora

Reaction score
I've got two reels that are faulty;

An Abu Garcia 507 MK11 Reel (one of the two pins which reels in the line doesn't work)

A Shimano Curado baitcaster about 20 years old (The reel spool no longer rotates when you reel in)

Could anyone recommend a retailer that can repair both types of reels please?

@Clive

Reaction score
The pins on the 2nd generation ABUs are notoriously faulty. Regards the baitcaster; it could be a simple fix. The drag could be fully off or the spool release button stuck if you haven't used it for a while. Try a spot of lube on the mechanism of both parts before sending away for repair. They are usually bomb proof.

keora

Reaction score
Thanks for both your comments.

I've used Felindre a few times, although I think they concentrate on Shimano. I was hoping to get both reels repaired at the same place.

I'll have a closer look at the Shimano Curado baitcaster. I've not used it for two or three years and it may just need oiling.

@Clive

Reaction score
If the ABU follows the same design as the older models changing the pins is straight forward if you can buy a spare. Or it may just have slipped out of the trapezium shaped flat spring. If the pin and coil spring are both intact that is the likely cause.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
To confuse matters there are more than one Mk Two. The earlier reel is marked up Mk 2 and is the Gold Max model.

a9a20ddd5aa620b8fbb3c4286f556e51.jpg

The later one is marked as Mk 11, this has only one pick up pin.
c667c30c70e5c5cc7a572b6627b0f43d.jpg

The pins for this model are unavailable. I bought mine from The Tackle Box at Dartford and they managed to source a new rotor assembly at a cost of just over £30. The part that knackers out is the black plastic bit connected to the pin.

Unfortunately you are unlikely to get spares for either reel. Both reels are in all honesty a crock of s***. I’ve had two Mk 2’s one bought and one given, both failed and were unrepairable. The later Mk 11 has been back to the suppler for repair four times, with very little use. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keora

Reaction score
Flipping Norah, I've had some excellent advice to my questions.

Clive, I retrieved the Shimano Curado baitcaster from the rod graveyard at the back end of the garage. I oiled it and fiddled about and realised the slipping clutch was too slack. So it works again.

Ray, I've just checked my Abu and it's a 506 MK II and it's only got one pin, I though it had two. When I use the reel the pin doesn't always connect with the line. It's nine years old, in good condition, but from what you say spares are scarce. It's hardly worth sending it away.

Currently I river float fish with a 4 inch diameter Allcock's Aerial reel, about 70 years old I think. I've wrapped a cork arbour around the spindle so it increases the retrieve rate. Good for trotting close to the bank on the River Wharfe, not so good if it's windy or you want to cast well out.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've just purchased a completely worn out Mitchell Match where the gears are completly shot, its a lhw, i'm a rhw.
I've only bought it to try it as a renovation project and if it comes good I'll give it to a young chap who is mad keen on fishing, — I've already given him a nice Daiwa quivertip rod and some floats, feeders, shot etc, does anyone on FM have a set of gears that will fit?
I'll gladly pay a reasonable price them.

@Clive

Reaction score
Nobby Clark if he's still around is your man for Mitchell parts Mick. He used to post on here as The Indifferent Cruican.

I think the gears from a 410 might be the same.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If the main brass gear on the winding cup is worn out it's basically beyond repair. Yes, you can replace gears but it'll always be very noisy.