Repair?

Wakou

Reaction score
A bit quiet in this area!
Still, I have today purchased a Gordon and Hardy Matchman rod, I believe it to be from 1966.. Almost perfect nick, and the seller was 100% genuine chap. Close inspection when I got home, the end-eye of the "Avon" section was a bit bent, possibly trodden on. Not sure if the actual rod is damaged, or just the eye. Should I have a bash myself? Or is it worth getting a "pro" to do it? I can post pics, if anyone reads this section!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A bit quiet in this area!
Still, I have today purchased a Gordon and Hardy Matchman rod, I believe it to be from 1966.. Almost perfect nick, and the seller was 100% genuine chap. Close inspection when I got home, the end-eye of the "Avon" section was a bit bent, possibly trodden on. Not sure if the actual rod is damaged, or just the eye. Should I have a bash myself? Or is it worth getting a "pro" to do it? I can post pics, if anyone reads this section!

I would be inclined to do it myself. The rod needs to be checked first to ensure that it’s not split. Check for any obvious cracks and any that open up when the tip is flexed. You will probably be okay, as fibreglass is more forgiving and less brittle than carbon. Some older style tip rings have two legs that run parallel to the blank, these are whipped on. If this is the case then you will have to remove the whipping. If the tip is glued on then heat from a cigarette lighter is usually sufficient to free it. Some tip rings have decorative whipping going up to a glued on top ring. In this case I would leave the whipping in place and see how the new ring looks and fits. The worst way is that you would have to start from scratch. Cost then plays a part. If you have to buy; thread, sealer, glue, ring and varnish, then it would be cheaper to pay a tackle shop or rod builder to do it. To glue the new tip ring in place, you can use hot glue or as I did just last week, some epoxy resin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakou

Reaction score
Not good pics, but you get the idea..

Attachments

• endeye.jpeg
    endeye.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 29
  • endeye2.jpeg
    endeye2.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 33

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

These people do a multitude of tips.

Looking at the tip on your rod, I would remove the whipping and just use a glue on tip. If you clean the blank up and it looks ok, then I would leave it at that, but if it looks a bit unsightly then whip over the last inch or so. You may ask at the tackle shop if they have a tip ring to fit after you have removed the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk