Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 08/12/12
Venue:... River Ribble
Time fished:...15:30hrs 21:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Heavy drizzle, gusty winds at times, very dark no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:300hrs @ NJR 0.75M & falling
Air temperature:... 6.3C throughout session.
Water Temperature:... 4.3C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust/Cheese Paste, Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - bread flake with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste, Crust/Cheese Paste with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... Four Chub (3 around 3.5lb and 1 beauty at 5lb-3oz)
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was getting a trip in while the weather was reasonable as apposed to fancying going fishing. The river looked good when I arrived. At dusk the drizzle got “really wet” making fishing uncomfortable. However, the Chub turned up (3 around 3.5lb and 1 beauty at 5lb-3oz), the first arrived at 15:40hrs and the last at 18:55hrs. By 21:00hrs I'd had enough even though there was probably another couple of Chub I it if I'd carried on until mid-night. The walk back to my van would have been miserable but for the 5lb plus Chub. Fortunately we have the room at home to dry out all my gear which to say that it didn't rain particularly hard, got extremely wet.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 16/12/12
Time fished:...16:00hrs 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Bright with light cloud, no wind, new moon very low in the sky.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:300hrs @ NJR 0.76M & falling
Air temperature:... 6.9C only dropping to 6C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 5.6C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust/Cheese Paste, Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - bread flake with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste, Crust/Cheese Paste with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... One Chub 2lb-7oz and a 2lb Brownie
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was a quick trip before Christmas on the tail end of a flood pulse. The river looked good but the local rumours were very few Chub had been caught in December on this particular stretch. It started OK just after dust but after a little chub and a 2lb trout, the bites were few and far between and very hard to hit, even touch legering. This was not a very good session but at least sitting on the bank was dry and comfortable.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Wednesday 26/12/12
Time fished:...16:30hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Rain at first clearing after dusk then becoming very windy with near full moon as the sky cleared.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:300hrs @ NJR 0.72M & rising 0.5m during session.
Air temperature:... 6C throughout the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.2C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust/Cheese Paste
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - bread flake with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Crust/Cheese Paste with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... One 6lb-120z Barbel
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was another quick trip between Christmas and New Year. The river looked good but after a couple of hours it started to raise as the water from the very heavy down pour which I drove through on my way down from the dales hit the river systems. Just one bite and one fish during the session. I’d decided that I’d pack up when my liquidized bread ran out and or when 5 Live Sport finished or the river reached my chair. All three occurred around ten-o-clock, however, I’d also had enough after my brolly had blown inside out three times. Not sure if this will be my last trip in 2012 with family commitments and dubious weather conditions?

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 03/01/13
Time fished:...16:00hrs 24:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Heavy drizzle at first, then remaining overcast all through the session, no wind and no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:300hrs @ NJR 0.85M & rising a wee bit during session.
Air temperature:... 9.4C dropping to 7.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 9C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - bread flake with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Crust/Cheese Paste with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... One 4lb-11oz Chub, one 2lb plus Brownie and a small Barbel @ 3lb-5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was looking good and it only rose a wee bit because it was raining in the Dales when I drove down. I lost a fish early on, snapped main line above swivel, and the line above the break was quite rough. The first fish was a decent brownie on crust/cheese paste followed by the Chub at 18:15hr and the last fish was a 3lb-5oz barbel at 20:10hrs. I also lost three feeders in this swim, which I'd not fished for a long time. I was quite pleased to open the 2013 season with a 4lb plus Chub.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 6.1.13
Section River Ribble
Time: 12:15 till 18:00
Weather conditions: Mild and dry
Water conditions : 0.50m at Ribchester
Bait – pellet
Air temp – 10c
Water temp: 9c
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 2 chub, 3 barbel an 2 big brown trout

It's been a long time since I was out and the weekend was child free and looked good with mild weather and a little water still on the river. That said, it was very clear but a nice water temp was promising.

I started really well and thought I was going to have a hectic afternoon. I had a big brown trout second cast that had gorged itself on free offerings and hadn't digested any of it! Over the first hour, I had 1 chub and 3 barbel as well. However, just as I thought it was going to be a great few hours, it completely died and I went 3.5 hours without any signs of life at all.

A second big brown trout offer some hope, but only one further chub of 4lb 4oz showed just into dark.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 06/01/13
Time fished:...16:00hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.62M and steady.
Air temperature:... 9.4C dropping to 7.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 9.1C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - bread flake with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Crust/Cheese Paste, PVA bags of micro pellets.
Results:... Two small Chub and one 8lb-4oz Barbel
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river looked good and with the water temp above 6C there was a chance of a Barbel. I was surprised to have this club length to myself; however, there were three anglers on the opposite bank. The two small chub came after dusk and the 8lb-4oz Barbel at 21:15hrs. There were plenty of knocks and plucks through out the session and maybe if I'd stayed longer I could have accounted for a couple more fish. This was a very pleasant winter session with an easy walk back to my van for a change.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 12/01/13
Time fished:...17:00hrs 23:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Light cloud, clear sky after dusk, no wind, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.48M and steady.
Air temperature:... 1.7C dropping to -1.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 6C
Results:... One 3lb-13oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Quick trip to the Ribble before the forecast snow comes. Once again, I'd this stretch of the river all to myself. The river looked good except for the drop in water temperature from 9C last time out down to 6C. I had a couple of bites early on then the Chub at 21:05hrs followed by a few more knocks then it went completely dead. I packed up at 23:00hrs when the air temperature dropped to -1.5C. Everything frozen up, I had to wet my landing net to get it to fold up. On the track back to the main road, all the sheep in the world had decided it was a good place to sleep.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 31/01/13
Time fished:...16:30hrs 23:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast and very windy, sky clearing a wee bit after dusk
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.86M and falling.
Air temperature:... 6.2C throughout the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.3C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod, fished close in – loose feed corn and micro pellets - bread flake and or crust/cheese paste on hook. Downstream rod fished mid river - Crust/Cheese Paste with liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. After dusk, this rod was fished close in as the upstream rod.
Results:... One 3lb-9oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was my first chance to get down to the river after being snowed in, snowmelt, flood pulses and work commitment etc. The river looked good but there was only one other angler on this stretch and he packed in at dusk on a blank. I only had two or three good bites around 21:00hrs that resulted in the 3lb-9oz Chub. I caught this Chub on the downstream rod after I brought it in within 3 metres of the bank. Just prior to that, I had an otter or large mink visit my swim a couple of times, it was a very dark night and by the time I switched on my headlamp he was gone.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 09/02/13
Time fished:...17:30hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Sleet and rain on the drive down, lightly overcast at dusk, no wind, no moon
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.5M and steady.
Air temperature:... 5.5C dropping to 3.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 5.1C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod and downstream rods, bread flake and or crust/cheese paste on hook. Fished over loose fed corn with liquidized bread, sweetcorn and micro pellets in both feeders.
Results:... One 3lb-9oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Quick trip to the Ribble before the forecast the rain sleet/snow comes. There were three other anglers on this stretch but all seemed to have left just after dusk. I'd several good bites from the off but bumped my first two. The third bite, and only Chub of the session, came at 19:35hrs on crust/cheese paste. I'd another couple of real rod benders but each time I struck into nothing. Although I was using softish cheese paste, with the low water temp it was probably too hard. I should have changed to a tightly mounted hair rig bait or experimented with popped up corn, which has worked in the past when the water has been cold. I don't seem to be really with it at the moment, roll on some milder weather.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Friday 15/02/13
Time fished:...17:00hrs 24:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Sunny intervals, light breeze. Small crescent moon low in sky
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR .97M and falling.
Air temperature:... 3.5C throughout the session.
Water Temperature:... 5C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod and downstream rods, bread flake and or crust/cheese paste on hook. Fished over loose fed corn with liquidized bread, sweetcorn and micro pellets in both feeders.
Results:... Three Chub to 3lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… I was reasonably optimistic, but this trip seemed a lot of hard work for only three small chub. Most bites were short hard knocks, even touch legering did not work, they were too fast for me. Terrible walk back across very wet fields and once again all the sheep in the world where sleeping on the track back to the main road. I had to encourage a couple of them carefully, most were heavily in lamb.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 3.3.13
Section River Ribble
Time: 17:25 till 19:35
Water conditions : Low and clear
Bait – corn
Air temp – 8c
Water temp: 5c
Results: 2 chub

With the river low and clear I went for a few hours just to catch the last bit of light and the stay so long as I felt there was some action likely.

As it was the only action centred around a 5 minute spell. As the light went just after 6 I got a few knocks and then 2 fish straight after each other. The biggest just over 4lb. After that it was dead!

No signs, no fish moving, nothing. I decided to make it a brief session and fish till 8, but when I snagged and lost the lost around 7:30 I decided to admit defeat and go home to a nice slow cooked lamb shank instead!

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 02/03/13
Weather conditions:... Overcast, clearing at dusk then mist and cloud towards end of session, no moon during session.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR .34M and steady.
Air temperature:... 9.6C dropping to -1C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 5.7C
Results:... Five Chub to 4lb-8oz and one snagged 8lb Pike
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was the first chance to pop down to the Ribble after three days on the Wye last weekend. The river looked OK, I had to ask two lads who were “guesting” to move, then I had the stretch to myself. The bites were few but what there were I hit and landed, which makes a change. i was very careful how I put my cheese paste around the crust, just leaving the hook point bare. The last fish of the session was a pike about 8lb, I snagged some braid with my feeder on the end of which there was a pike. Pleasant session and a pleasant change to walk back to my van over dry fields.

Date:.. Saturday 09/03/13
Time fished:...16:30hrs 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast with the odd wintry shower, very cold breeze.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR .34M and steady.
Air temperature:... 6.8C dropping to 1C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 5C
Results:... One 2lb-8oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river conditions were not very good; this was just a trip on the off chance of something turning up. There was only one other lad on the stretch. Just three bites for one small chub at 22:10hrs. It started to snow on the drive back up to the Dales. There was snow on the hills this morning 10/09/13. The back end of the seasons is not looking very promising.

bigfish74

Reaction score
after reading through your posts on here and realise i havent fished the ribble at all this year i am making a promise to myself that next season i will be back

i only live 20 minutes away and used to fish it most weekends and looking at the miles your covering i feel iv wasted this season

andy

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Tuesday 12/03/13
Weather conditions:... Bright & sunny clouding over at dusk
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR .33M and steady.
Air temperature:... 4.6C dropping to 1C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 3.9C
Results:... Five Chub to 4lb-11oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Although the river was cold, low and clear at least its been stable for a few days and I was hoping after dusk the chub would feel confident enough to feed. The first Chub came at 19:20hrs and the last one at 22:35hrs. They all came to crust/cheese paste and three of the five were caught touch legering. Nice end of the season trip if I don't manage to make it on the last day.

Date:.. Thursday 14/03/13
Weather conditions:... Overcast with wintry showers and a cold breeze.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR .32M and steady.
Air temperature:... 4.2C dropping to Zero C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 4.1C
Results:... One Chub 3lb-14.5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Last day of the 2012/13 season and I was reasonable optimistic but it turned out to be misplaced. After dusk there was just the one chub and a few knocks then that was it, not a single bite after 19:30hrs. I only sat it out to mid-night because it was the last day. I haven't looked at the records yet but this seems to have been a very cold winter or may be I'm getting too old to sit it out in the dark and wet. Roll on spring.
See you all in the Summer on the Ribble, although I do a wee bit of fly fishing on the upper Ribble during the close season.
Tight Lines
John C

sumtime

Reaction score
I'd like to thank you John for some of the best reports I've ever read, always looked forward to them. ;)

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
My last posting: -

"I haven't looked at the records yet but this seems to have been a very cold winter or may be I'm getting too old to sit it out in the dark and wet."

Well lads I must be getting old, I've just checked the NW Weather data since 1959 and: -
The coldest winter was 1962/63; the Warmest 1988/89 and last winter was the 22nd coldest out of 54 recorder.
The Driest winter was 1966/64 with 26.83mm; the Wettest 1989/60 with 180.2mm and last winter 22nd driest with 77mm.

Well here we go again another day another dollar and the start of another new season. I'll be on the Ribble at 00:00hrs Sunday. All the best and tight lines for anyone else on the Ribble.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 20.6/13
Section River Ribble
Time: 17:30 till 22:00
Water conditions : Low and clear
Bait – pellet
Air temp – n/t
Water temp: n/t
Results: 7 barbel, 3 big brown trout and 1 eel

I thought I’d better get my river season underway with an evening session given the low water levels. The plan was to float fish Friday daytime, but I switched it to a feeder session Thursday evening.

I fished a peg that often produces the goods in low water. However, it also seems to always follow the same pattern for me with a good start and then a lull. It didn’t disappoint and I had 2 barbel and lost one fairly quickly.

After the inevitable quiet period I picked up barbel and some hard fighting brown trout, all of which were over 2lb.

The last hour of light didn’t bring on any surge of action. All the barbel were between 4.5lb and 6lb. There weren't many anglers about which was a little surprising given it's the first week of the season.