River Thames at Shillingford

kingfisher2007

Reaction score
Hi Anyone know what club has the stretch of the River Thames by Shillingford Bridge nd Wallingford. ?

robcourt82

Reaction score
There's also a club called jolly anglers with a stretch at wallingford

Reaction score
Hard graft on the Thames these days sadly...

Reaction score
Barbel fishing wise,where I fished a lot up till 2 seasons ago at Culham,Didcot,it was very poor,used to be good,hardly any barbel at all in two years,by anybody and you get to know the guys on the venue,odd good-uns but....

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It is a bit weird isn't it, given that other species in the river - chub, bream and roach to name just a few - all seem to be thriving. I just don't understand where any average sized barbel might be on the thames (upper bit maybe?) The only fish I ever hear about are always few and far between - but seem to be never short of 12lb (and sometimes considerably bigger!)

Reaction score
I hadn't found a large population of 12lb+ barbel on the Thames Jim;),just odd fish,several years ago now I fished the Culham area and caught several modest barbel between 5-8lbs or so,I even caught two 2lbers on seperate occasions,I caught up to 3 fish a session,in the right swims,then barbel became rocking horse poo,it isn't just a Thames thing,many rivers have gone into declines similarly,be it for whatever reasons,lets be sure of one thing barbel's lack of spawning successes and the otter's liking for their vital organs isn't helping.