Rivert kennet Grayling Day 17th November 2007

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm only 40 miles away from the venue and it's about -2C and very frosty. Skies very clear but no rain. It'll be a cold start.

Last year was very cold and frosty and I feared the worst as I drove through the early morning brightness. But Denford fished really quite well.

I fished Barton Court earlier this week and in similar conditions but that was pretty much the first frost for some time. They've now had 3 or 4 overnight frosts and I reckon both venues will fish OK!

Blanks for everyone then!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
DO NOT use the 'b' word....you'll put a jinx on us/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Right, pit time for me...see you tomorrow and don't forget the thermals/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Goodnight peeps see you all in the morning.

I can't believehow light we are travelling tomorrow!

Can't wait /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m all loaded up andoff to me pit for a few hours kip before the off...no lemon drizzle cake i`m afraid,the mrs took it around her chums house for their coffee morning to raise dosh for children in need.

See you all in the morning /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

darkuser80

Reaction score
Well....Feck me............... I fine......but what fun I`ve had!....

Bad enough trying to find the place..."Blue gate?" Found a fisherey,by the lockgates at Lower Denford .......but no one around, but a couple of european guys spinning next to the lock, who did not understand me or apparently english....but "Mike" (the boss?) wasn`t around or in his office at the fisherey...

A few locals sent me around in all sorts of directions, trying to find folk* ......BUT...

whenyou have a minor accident with a local.... then the car brakes down..... You begine question life

Sorry folks. Family event for the rest of the weekend which I was leaving early for anyway (well about 3pm), hope you all catch well

*I then realised that I did`nt have any contact numbers on the moblie.........

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have also missed the day Merlot. Spent most of the day yesterday in the smallest room of the house. Still not feeling to well thsi morning and did not fancy the 4 hour drive so stayed home. Glad ii did.

Hope everybody as a good day. Will try and get out on the ribble sunday.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fished Barton Court today, meet some new faces and some old, very nice guys everyone.

Had a few fish myself, when i left everyone had caught. Weather was great you couldnt have asked for a better day. Fishing was hard going very clear and shallow, but a great place to fish.

Pikey if your reading this i have 4 points on the board, more to come tomorrow, i hope.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Merlot, sorry to hear that mate.

You were two minutes from us, we took the wrong turn and saw the guys piking too!

The blue gate was about 200 yards from the turning on the main road that you took, next to a slow sign.

Gutted for you mate and a shame we didn't meet up.

Denford fished very well, loads of grayling and spotties.

I got 4 points too /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifand another 6 tomorrow hopefully.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
What a great days fishing, had my first real experience in trotting with a CP, wohoooow great fun that was. Lots of graylings, spotties and minnows/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif.

A great thank you to Nigel for organising a superb fish in, most delicious pea and ham soup for lunch, a great brekkie (even though I was late) Neil for the refreshing lemonade/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

I would also like to thank my great friend peter J for borrowing me his rather expensive CP...what a dream of a reel, it was a joy fishing with it and worked a treat with my rod.

Jeff,

I hope I made you smile/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Another great fish-in, thank's Nigel, I think you've got the hang of them. Exellent food and beer ( Neil).

Nice to see every one, look forward to the next one.

Claudia, your mad.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Full English Sir?
IMG_1468.jpg

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Hope you all had a good day.....had to cancell my grayling day today.........my daughter wants to take my cheque book to look at a house for her!!!! /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Denford obviously fished better than Barton court but I enjoyed it anyway even if it did set my back off again with all the walking, an hour in the bath sorted that out thankfully. A float fishermans paradise in my humble opinion and I did manage three grayling with the biggest just over a pound a couple of dace and half a dozen roach, one threatening Ray's record I thought but Ray who was nearbydidn't agree and I settled for 7 oz instead hahaha!

Thanks to Ray for cooking the brekkie and like a true cook he remembered the brown and red sauce, an MBE for services to anglerssurely!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed the day,really nice surroundings,loads of water to fish,frustrating watching trout etc....in clear shallow waterturning their noses up at my bait!!! and who would believe bream swimming quite happily in fast stream type water...amazing!!!

I am definately gonna book another days fishing there and drag yoggy down as well.

Many thanks for organising this get together and many thanks to ray for the breakfast.

Graham,it was me who brought the hp and ketchup along....lol,i just realised that it was you who sent me up that copy of waterlogue (i hope you got it back ok?) and i expect a full product reveiwof my bait pouch...lol

Lee Swords

Reaction score
My total fish caught (approx)

17 Grayling to approx 1lb 8oz

8 Rainbows to 3lb 8oz

1 Brown 12oz-1llb

1 Roach

Fantastic event ....Many thanks to everyone involved but Especially Mike Townsend and Nigel O connor.

Knackered

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Big thanks to everyone for a cracking day especially Nigel.

Question for Mr Nellist. Do dace and grayling hybridise? I'm sure my dace had a bit of grayling in them.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yes, a cracking day, well done Greg, i mean Nigel.

Didnt you have a go for them Dace you spotted Mike? Funny, as you walked past me (legging it) to get your gear i took a plod up and looked at them Dace and i reckon its nothing to do with hybridisation but more likeChameleonisation. Whereas the Chameleon can change colour these Dace once spotted instead of changing just colour actuallychange into Grayling, just my thoughts on it.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Mmmmm I thought I saw scorch marks over the grass.

You obviously spooked the dace leaving behind the stupid grayling.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Not me mate, its was probably the stealth approach you and Andy used in deciding what species they were, standing 3 feet away from them, pointing at them with that sun behind you. I think they spooked that much they are now residing in Barton Court.