Rod licences...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
A question for you all,have the environment agency stopped sending reminders out as my licence expires on the 5/4/2023 and I've had nothing through the post,or was it the post office that had some agreement with the agency to send them?

mikench

Reaction score
I received an email about a week ago and the new licence yesterday. No complaints from me. I applied as I always do on line. Mine ran out on the 28/03/2023

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
No complaints Mike,just wondering why I hadn't received a reminder,either email or letter,normally get both,seemed odd,just renewed online anyway....probably get a letter today...

riverman

Reaction score
just done mine online.my current licence runs out on 31st march so renewed from 1st april and £33 this time around(2 rod coarse and trout).still superb value for a full years fishing. :)

mikench

Reaction score
Being an old git I only paid £20 so a bargain but then what do you get for it in truth. A rhetorical question already discussed and debated ad nauseam.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
They have gone up Mike,£22..

Just for your amusement the reminder letter came at 11.30am🤣😂🤣

seth49

Reaction score
I hate the fact that you can’t buy one at the post office any more, and that I’ll have to pay online for it now, I just don’t trust online payments, think I’ll post them a cheque and see what happens.

It must be ten years or more since I’ve seen a bailiff as well.knowing my luck if I didn’t get one I’d see a bailiff then.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The EA took it in house to maximise the money they take,I had a problem once where they took over a month to deliver my licence,which upon ringing was an online issue,so I went back to the post office and found that ven though I had to wait for it to come in the post it was came pretty damp quick,now we have no choice....

mikench

Reaction score
I just checked Alan and I only paid £20 . Maybe they made a concession to me to reflect my angling skills.😜😉

John Aston

Reaction score
Post Offices? God above, I wont be mourning their decline . Endless queues, listless staff , unpredictable opening hours, and a high quota of the community's nutjobs in the queue . Along with Wimpy Bars , Golden Eggs, Morris Marinas, Are You Being Served and the oxymoronic Happy Eaters Post Offices can be consigned to the dustbin of history .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Post Offices? God above, I wont be mourning their decline . Endless queues, listless staff , unpredictable opening hours, and a high quota of the community's nutjobs in the queue . Along with Wimpy Bars , Golden Eggs, Morris Marinas, Are You Being Served and the oxymoronic Happy Eaters Post Offices can be consigned to the dustbin of history .
Each to their own but the Post Office in our village is a community hub with lovely helpful staff and rarely any long queues and set opening and closing times.

The Wimpy Bar served a great purpose back in the day with inexpensive dishes cooked to order and served swiftly. In fact they were the pattern for many of their successors.

I wish I’d copied it but some time ago I saw their menu and the prices were, well amazing.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised anybody thinks Post Offices are fit for the dustbin. I have one 5 mins away, and I'm pleased it's there, given that local bank branches are being stripped out and the market leaves us without buses evening and weekends despite being well inside the boundaries of a large city.
Apart from the obvious postal stuff, the community hub , cash services etc, Post Offices provide government application services. 3 million plus people use them to access benefits, state pensions and tax credits. Council services, such as rent, council tax and meals on wheels are administered through Post Offices. More than 40% of users are from social classes A,B,C so no need to be too squeamish about slumming it. The quality of service from staff at ours is second to none.

Keith M

Reaction score
Each to their own but the Post Office in our village is a community hub with lovely helpful staff and rarely any long queues and set opening and closing times.

The Wimpy Bar served a great purpose back in the day with inexpensive dishes cooked to order and served swiftly. In fact they were the pattern for many of their successors.

I wish I’d copied it but some time ago I saw their menu and the prices were, well amazing.
Apart from very occasionally processing the very occasional parcel or paying my road tax I rarely use my post office nowerdays, but it still serves its purpose albeit its much more expensive than it used to be when you could buy a first class stamp for around 15p :).

And the Whimpys ‘Rum Babar's’ were delicious too. I haven’t visited a Whimpy bar in well over thirty years now, since the kids were young and one of their birthday treats was a visit to the local Whimpy with their friends; nowerdays its just a run down place with big holes in the chairs :)

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
I raté my local PO highly and would be lost without it for posting all kinds of stuff all over the place. It , the PO in general did blight it’s copybook over the sub postmaster scandal and even now they should be taken to task over the lethargic response to putting things right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree on the debacle over the postmaster scandal but criticism has to go to the central PO management.

I’d quite forgotten Wimpy’s Rum Babas they were very good. These days you cannot get them anywhere.
Their Brown Derby dessert was good too but these days I make my own version.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd forgotten Wimpy Bars. I must have been about 8 when one opened in our small ancient city. A little bit of American glamour. Land of hamburgers, hotdogs, milkshakes, cars with fins, film stars, tshirts, surfboards. Pestered my mum to take me a couple of times. Iirc the burgers were ok. Unlike McDonalds where the meat has the same texture as the bun.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
We used to have a tiny kiosk sized Wimpy on our way home from Dunstable,walking home half cut at around 11-11.30pm after chucking out time a burger and a cup of heinz cream of tomato soup,lovely....