scalded magotts

R

Robert Dearnley

does anybody use scalded maggotts when fishing?if so,have u caught anything?
ive been told there very good for bream,is this true?

G

Goose Ganderton

Hi Robert
I tend to use dead maggotts quit a bit, either scaded or frozen and usualy ad some flavour.
they are great when you are laying a carpet of feed down as the little buggers can nolonger wriggle away. I will also use dead one's as a hook bait, usualy two with a shaped piece foam to add a little boyancy.

Archie braddock swares by them and his flavourings are first class.

A

Andy Thatcher

I use them a lot. I mainly use frozen ones after letting them have a play in some flavours for a couple of hours. As Goose said that advantage of them is that they stay where you put them until eaten.

G

Goose Ganderton

Hi Andy
Nice to see you here. How are things on BW I must drop by there soon. I was talking to Tinca from AN about a summer sesson or two on the Kennett for Barbel, do you fancy some of that.

A

Andy Thatcher

Things are quiet @ BW at present, pre-season nerves ! I'm not suffering from them as I am having a bit of a nightmare with some local tench.
I have been meaning to go back to on the Kennet for a couple of years now but haven't got around to it. So yep I'm up for it.

K

keith reid

Not only do frozen maggots not bury themselves in mud , they also have the advantage of being easy to keep! They don't sweat in the freezer! If you don't live close to a tackle shop , they're a boon. They also sink more slowly than live ones.

G

Goose Ganderton

During the summer I put a couple of pints of bronze maggots in the freezer and took them out 2 weeks later. Now these maggots were frozen solid but after a few hours in the sun they all revived and were as active as the day I froze them. Cryogenics or what!!! Anyone beat that?

A

Andy Thatcher

No got me on that one. My record is 7 days but then again most of mine have been in there for at least 2 months some up to a year. I try and stock rotate but it rarely happens.

A

Andy O

Blimey goose thats scary stuff... If my kids switch off the freezer in the garage like they did once before ,well just imagine it. One pint of bronze crawling over the place and Two dozen mackeral and smelts flipping about on the floor!!! Joking aside I've never seen my thawed maggots show any signs of life after freezing. I once tried freezing them in small bags containing a stone. The idea being firstly they wound sink and secondly as the thawed out a steady stream of offering would trundle off downstream. My conclusion was don't bother, just stick with a bait dropper. Might have some uses though??..

R

Ron Clay

Another way of killing and flavouring maggots for the hook is to put a few into a film canister with a spot of flavour. Put the lid on and leave them for about an hour.

Archie Braddock showed me this tip