Sense of Angling History?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicepix

Reaction score
For me there are two types of writer I'll gladly read; Those who have proved themselves whether it be with specimen fish or match fishing achievments; Maddocks, Marks, Walker, Buller, etc. and those who don't as much care about the size or numbers of the bag, but can describe the experiences of angling in an inspirational way whilst retaining a sense of humility, i.e. it is the occassion not the angler who is the star. Here I'm thinking of Arthur Ransome, John Gierach and Zane Grey along with antiquities such as Walton and Cotton. Both types are a valuable source of information on methods of their era.

Book sales in this category are dwindling and future anglers will look to search engines for their historical research. It is already happening. More and more antique books are being transcribed into PDF and other files to be read on Kindles and e-readers. It is surprising what you can turn up. For example, in a 1906 book that has been transcribed for Kindle I learned that large kidney beans were used by French anglers for specimen (20lb +) carp as they proved too large and tough skinned for small carp to take. That is 'boiled potato / boilie' thinking fifty years before Walker and Ingham set about their Redmire campaigns.

Reaction score
Here I'm thinking of Arthur Ransome, John Gierach and Zane Grey along with antiquities such as Walton and Cotton.

Thanks for this nicepix....it has jogged me into digging out "The Fisherman's Bedside Book" and my battered copy of the Hardy Centenary Book of angling and revisiting some of those articles.

guest61

Reaction score
Now although I would never call myself an angling historian, I do possess at the last count just under 400 angling books.

I certainly do like to read of angling's wonderful history, especially during the 19th century, the latter half of which, saw what I believe was the greatest golden age of angling.

Angling has a wonderful history and of all field sports, it has some of the greatest literary collections produced by a few of the best writers in this field. But I get the feeling that only a very few of we anglers actually read about our sport. Evidence of this is the way that many famous names get very quickly forgotten.

Such a shame it is that many anglers have never heard of Marks, Walker, Lane or Taylor.

But how do you feel about the history of our sport?

Having read a number of angling books in my formative years I can say with some confidence that I endured them rather than enjoyed them as the authors mentioned here didn’t write material that had any relevance to me.
Whether or not there was a golden age of angling is open to debate – was angling easier in the late C19th? Given the pressures that angling faces today, is it that we have our own golden age?

I’m not concerned about the history of angling and Marks and Walker are only really known to me through reading the Angling Times as a youngster. There are a few posters on here who witnessed Ivan Marks in action and I love reading their posts but having taken delivery of a copy of one of Ivan’s books it’s clear that no matter how good an angler he was; he wasn’t an author.

Like many fields, angling is littered with wannabes and people who are quite willing to sacrifice all credibility when there are bills to pay. Finding an author with genuine knowledge and the ability to write is tough; having original thought is tougher still, which goes someway to understanding why we see so many well established concepts and ideas from days gone by repackaged in countless magazine articles and advertorials as ‘new’ or in Fishingmagic speak ‘my take on’.

In angling we have a sport which lends itself to the delusion that we can write and capture the essence of a day or session fishing and this was true in times past. Given technology advances, it is now easier to submit a piece digitally than would have previously been possible, but the chances are that through these digital routes, a piece hasn’t been proof read or checked for credibility, originality or whether it was a waste of battery life.

The history of angling is what we make it and we have the benefit that we can record this history in many formats. However, there will never be a better title than ‘My days with ****’.

sam vimes

Reaction score

cg74

Reaction score

guest61

Reaction score
There must be many similar 'titles' just waiting to be submitted..

Moderators are you ready....?

cg74

Reaction score
Reaction score
Oh how we look forward to the onrush of rarely titillating **** related puns...why we moderators can hardly wait!!

Hopefully it will go so rapidly off-topic we can shut the thread!

At least it may lead to a career resurrection of one of the worst bands that I have ever heard.."Handsome **** Manitoba and the Dictators"

Status
Not open for further replies.