Servicing some old reels

@Clive

Reaction score
While the weather has been uninviting I have been spending a few hours each day servicing some of my old reels. Some of them are recent buys that needed the old gunk removing and cleaning out before a re-lube. Others needed a bit more work. I have a Mitchell 330 bought as 'for parts' that had a faulty bail mechanism and no A/R and an old SAP 702 with no A/R. Both are now fixed and ready for fishing. An old Mitchell half-bail neded a good fettling and the others were just renewing the lube.

20230306_145744_resize_14.jpg

20230306_143714_resize_29.jpg

20230306_144911_resize_79.jpg

Half Bail.png

Half-Bail innards 2.jpg

Front - Handle Side.jpg

Internal Drive.JPG

20230222_163512_resize_20.jpg

20230222_164003.jpg

Just a few more to do, the Mitchell Match duo, and then I can start on the centrepins.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still have a few of my old Mitchell and Abu and a couple of other reels; most of which I don’t use nowadays.
I do still very occasionally use the old BlackCat Centrepin when using the lift method and the Abu Cardinal 55 when surface fishing for Carp.

However my remaining Mitchell 300 (which has the same anti reverse lever type as the half bail mitchell in your pictures) has a broken anti reverse stub which has broken from the reel casing; which is a shame as it is fine apart from that.

Keith

@Clive

Reaction score
You can still buy parts for those old reels Keith. Or buy a cheap scrapper and take the parts that you need from it. I recently bought two 'for parts' reels for six quid each, repaired one, used parts off the other to repair another and have got bits left over to repair any others that need it. If it is just the boomerang shaped A/R lever on yours that is broken I can post one to you.

Keith M

Reaction score
If it is just the boomerang shaped A/R lever on yours that is broken I can post one to you.
Thanks Clive but it’s the stub that the anti reverse/spring sits over; for some reason it has broken off of the inside of the casing; I would need to obtain a new removable outer casing. Thanks for your kind offer anyway (y)

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
That is what had come loose in the 330. If the stub is still inside the reel you can tap it back into place. If not drift out anything that is still seated in the cover then cut a small piece out of the stem of a small pop rivet and either file it down to fit or use epoxy resin to seat it if it is slightly loose. You can see where the stub is seated as the hole goes right through the cover.