Shimano and Daiwa reels question....

nottskev

Reaction score
I have no problem with the small switches, I do however have a massive problem having none, if I am fishing with a fairly tight drag setting for barbel I don't expect to have to loosen it or open the bail to drop the lead, or get the netting length perfect, this is being done so as to make these reels usable for the sea in Australia and USA in the main, stopping salt water incursion to the innards...

Have you ever seen the switches on eg the Aernos and Technium front drag series? Nothing like the ones on the modern Stradics - a tiny, tapering pointed tab that barely protrudes and , unlike the modern Stradics, where it's small but well situated, set so close to the reel body that when flipped one way, you can't get to the side of it to flip it back. The one I complained about was the Aernos. A friend with the Technium shared the opinion. I mail-ordered mine unseen; unwise, but I couldn't imagine they'd botch a simple switch. After trying to live with it for a while, I took it to the ts, they sell plenty of Shimano reels, and asked the staff what they thought. After a lot of head-shaking, they offered to take it off me and give me credit - even though I didn't buy it there - and said they'd get the Rep to take it back. Several anglers in the shop inspected it and I can't post their comments here but nobody tried to tell me it was fit for purpose or something they'd put up with.

I'd guess this was a switch designed by people who were told to include one, but assumed an angler might use it once in a blue moon, like a lube port, and didn't imagine it as something flicked on and off umpteen times while busy fishing. Perhaps, as in your Aussie example, UK coarse fishing styles weren't a priority.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I have a technium 3000 hasn't been an issue to me, though it is small and I have 'sausage' fingers, I've never seen an aernos so couldn't comment, each individual could have their own reasons for finding something like this awkward, particularly someone with arthritis or similar....

nottskev

Reaction score
I have a technium 3000 hasn't been an issue to me, though it is small and I have 'sausage' fingers, I've never seen an aernos so couldn't comment, each individual could have their own reasons for finding something like this awkward, particularly someone with arthritis or similar....

Was yours like this?

On the Aernos, the top of the switch is more or less level with the housing where the body screws together, and in the Off position too close to get your fingertip between it and the body. I have hands like a concert pianist and the arthritis is in my spine and pelvis :)

AAAAA.jpg

To make the tip of the switch even harder to catch first time, it tapers towards the rotor

AAAAA1.jpg

If it was designed NOT to be caught by a finger, mission accomplished.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
No Kev, mine must be older, it is more central on mine, being offset like that seems like a design fault, the beauty of cad design....lol.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Was yours like this?

On the Aernos, the top of the switch is more or less level with the housing where the body screws together, and in the Off position too close to get your fingertip between it and the body. I have hands like a concert pianist and the arthritis is in my spine and pelvis :)

View attachment 28512

To make the tip of the switch even harder to catch first time, it tapers towards the rotor

View attachment 28513

I have the same model and feel the same about this silly little switch! Lovely reel in other respects but I have only used it a few times for spinning.

On my other reels I use that switch to allow a backwind when adjusting the drop for casting, or when there is weed on a leader knot, or multiple reasons actually!

This post made me dig the reel out again, surely I can make a little extension to that plastic tab? I will rake around for something suitable over the winter. :unsure:

nottskev

Reaction score
I have the same model and feel the same about this silly little switch! Lovely reel in other respects but I have only used it a few times for spinning.

On my other reels I use that switch to allow a backwind when adjusting the drop for casting, or when there is weed on a leader knot, or multiple reasons actually!

This post made me dig the reel out again, surely I can make a little extension to that plastic tab? I will rake around for something suitable over the winter. :unsure:

I've considered that, too, and tried it. But the tapered shape of the little tab makes it impossible to stick anything to it.
I've inquired whether the equivalent part, invariably longer, from other Shimano reels can be substituted - and they can't.
It's as clear a case of spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar (or an ounce of common sense) as you'll see.
It weighs about 8oz; you could use it as a leger weight in your flooded river?

@Clive

Reaction score
If you can drill through the tab with a 1mm bit it might be possible to push a heavy mono line through. Make a large tight knot up against the tab and use that as an anchor to mold a piece of Milliput into shape.

I bought a Shimano Stradic for ten euros that had a broken foot replaced by something off a Mitchell and the repairer had molded Milliput around the joint. It is very solid.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
If you can drill through the tab with a 1mm bit it might be possible to push a heavy mono line through. Make a large tight knot up against the tab and use that as an anchor to mold a piece of Milliput into shape.

I bought a Shimano Stradic for ten euros that had a broken foot replaced by something off a Mitchell and the repairer had molded Milliput around the joint. It is very solid.

I have used a product called Sugru for molding custom hand-grips on air-rifles. It's not particularly cheap and has a shelf life unopened of just a few months, so I usually wait until I have a few small jobs to do before I order it. It may be a bit too rubbery for a rigid switch but worth a try.

I vaguely remember Milliput so I will check that out as well, cheers Clive.

@Clive

Reaction score
I could send you a couple of pieces of Milliput Steve. Also, had a thought. The triangular piece of metal that connects the chain to a sink or bath plug could make an ideal former for the putty to adhere to.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I could send you a couple of pieces of Milliput Steve. Also, had a thought. The triangular piece of metal that connects the chain to a sink or bath plug could make an ideal former for the putty to adhere to.
Thanks for the offer Clive, I will see what I have in the garage first as I often forget what items I have bought 😖

I have some bits of fine stainless wire and have had many years of fiddling, bending shapes for booms etc. My employer hopefully thought I was working, those sea fishing booms must have cost him a fortune!;) Good to have a little fishing project on the go!

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Was yours like this?

View attachment 28512

View attachment 28513

That doesn't look exactly 'User Friendly'. More awkward & annoying.

nottskev

Reaction score

Funny you should mention Milliput. I've considered whether I could do anything for the switch with the remains of a pack I bought a few years ago. I'd no sooner bought a new glass induction hob than I dropped something on the edge and smashed a fair chunk off. The Milliput made an ok repair that at least doesn't draw the eye too much. It's amazing how it adheres, but on this occasion I think it's no match for Shimano ingenuity

Milli.jpg