Shimano Reels - Where It All Began

@Clive

Reaction score
We have a few Shimao fans on here so I thought I would post an article I did for another forum that explains how Shimano got into fishing.

In the early 1970’s Alabama tackle dealer Lew Childre set off to Japan on a personal trade mission. His primary aim was to source some quality bamboo as Chinese goods were subject to an embargo and Tonkin cane was hard to find, but he also made contact with representatives of the Japanese companies Fuji Heavy Industries, an aircraft company set up in 1915 and The Shimano Industrial Company who were founded in 1921 to make cycle parts. Childre managed to do a deal with Shimano to produce a new bait casting reel that he marketed in the USA as a Lew’s BB-1. This reel had a stylish low profile teardrop styling and slim rosewood handles reminiscent of the Hardy Elarex salmon spinning reel that had been in production from the late1930’s until the 1960’s. The BB-1 was mechanically virtually identical to an ABU bait caster in all the important areas:– bearings, centrifugal brake and a level wind that could be disconnected during the cast. It might just be that Lew Childre had an ABU reel in his pocket when he met Mr. Shimano along with a photograph of an Elarex. But, there is no doubt that the Lew’s bait caster with its twin bearings and free spool capability was a step up from the rudimentary American made reels of the day and even the most patriotic of anglers didn’t seem to mind the ‘Made in Japan by Shimano’ stickers that adorned every Lew’s BB-1 reel. Childre also imported Fuji rod fittings introducing that company's products to the world markets.

Until the Lews BB-1 came along ABU had been having their own way with bait casting reels in the lucrative professional American bass fishing market. ABU, or AB Urfabrikken had been founded in 1921 to make watches and taxi meters. Just before WWII they commenced manufacturing fishing reels, initially copying American direct drive designs, but during the war years they produced their own reel, the legendary ABU 2100 ‘Record’ that, as its name suggests broke casting records world-wide. The very month that the war ended ABU took out an international patent on the centrifugal brake that allowed tangle free casting for less than competent anglers like myself. This later became known as the ‘Ambassadeur’ brake after the model of reel made by ABU. The strange thing is, that the Hardy Elarex - which was pre-war, in fact had a centrifugal brake - and the centrifugal brake was known in the US long before that.

Lew Childre was killed in a plane crash in 1977 that his son and grand-son survived. The business however carried on as Lew’s innovating and introducing new ideas in the fishing world. But in 1979 controversially Shimano entered the American reel market under their own name with the Bantam 100, identical to the Lew’s BB-1 in almost every way, and less expensive. Shimano and ‘Made In Japan’ had by association with Lew’s become synonymous with quality and Shimano seized the opportunity to maximise on that. Lew’s quickly broke off their relationship with Shimano and successive new models were manufactured by Ryobi, another Japanese company. Shimano as we now know went on to be one of the biggest names in fishing along with Lew Childre’s other Japanese partner; Fuji who still make reel fittings and rod rings for many of the world’s top tackle makers.

The Japanese Shimano Bantam was the first model of fishing reel to be sold as a Shimano in 1978. But as you can see its DNA can be traced back to the 1930’s in Alnwick, Northumberland through Svangster in Sweden to The United States.

Family resemblance or coincidence?

The spool and drive gear of the Bantam can be accessed without tools by loosening two knurled screws as on the ABU reels. This also allows you to change the centrifugal spool brakes. The strange three pointed star drag was designed to allow easier access to the screws and spool adjuster, but it did not prove popular with Hank and Bud and was soon changed along with the slim handles for one suitable for American tastes.

The other side has a plastic cover with chrome paint finish. This is a weak point cosmetically. (Note the fake crest. It is endorsed 'Fishing Tackle')

The Bantam 100 is a low profile bait casting reel designed predominantly for bass fishing. Like many American reels it initially only came in right hand wind versions. As time went on left hand wind models were added to the expanding range.

Shimano really became a household name for anglers around the mid 1980's when they introduced the baitrunner reels. These were aimed at the UK carp market and put the company head and shoulders above the opposition, mainly ABU and Mitchell. Shimano also dominated the cycle gear market.

Shimano and Fuji never looked back.

Keith M

Reaction score
during the war years they produced their own reel, the legendary ABU 2100 ‘Record’ that, as its name suggests broke casting records world-wide. The very month that the war ended ABU took out an international patent on the centrifugal brake that allowed tangle free casting for less than competent anglers like myself. This later became known as the ‘Ambassadeur’ brake after the model of reel made by ABU.
I have one of the ABU 2100 Record reels which I bought 2nd hand back in the early 1970s after reading Dave Stuart’s ‘Roach’ book (part of the Osprey Anglers library of books) where he said he used this reel for trotting very occasionally just for fun (see pic below which was from an article that I myself wrote about trotting with a centrepin). It’s a great tiny little multiplier reel.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
My first Shimmy was a sea spin the 80s (that took over from my Cardinal 55s which in turn took over from my 300s in the 70s) . Still have a pair of Japanese made Aero 5000GTEs and a Stradic from the late 90s in perfect condition and in regular use.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks Clive. That was all news to me! I think I first heard of Shimano gear in the early 80's. Carbon rods were out, but newish and not everybody had one. I used to go fishing with a bloke who was a few years older. It was inspiring and depressing in equal measure: I learned a lot watching him, but used to get so cheesed off catching one to every three he caught. One day, he said he'd met a bloke on such and such who had one of those new Shimano rods. And whistled. Slim and light's not in it, he said, amazing rod. It might have been the model in this add from 1983 ( thanks to Steve/Aknib for the historical material)

shim2.jpg

About 3 years later I was in North West Angling wishing I had enough for the Shimano XXX Match and having to settle for an XMS in their second to best range, still a lovely spliced tip rod. (I'd get the XXX, a mint ebay one, 20 years later, but it's here unused. It's a12' and just a bit too strong in the tip for the lightest fishing, and it would be an insult to its beauty to show it a commercial carp. I'd put in a spliced tip - I did that with a 12' Diaflash and it's still my best canal rod - but I can't bear to take a hacksaw to it.)

I bought a reel that day, too, the precursor of the Shimano match reel as we know it. That reel's long gone, but if you ignore the Fightin' Drag back end of this equally ancient model - I like 1000 size reels - it looked like this.

r2.jpg

They hadn't quite got the reels right yet, but by the time they brought out the Aero series, like the one I posted about wearing out, they'd:
increased the spool size and improved the oscillation/line lay; added bearings; reduced the gear backlash to almost nothing; added a bail arm roller that rolled..... you name it, really, and the Aero Match set the standard to measure reels against. When I read the claimed technical advances in Shimano ads and catalogues these days, I find myself laughing at the reel tech jargon - look for yourself - and the new reels are imo hard to see as better and less well built in some ways, but the gains and step up in quality were real and palpable in those days.

It

@Clive

Reaction score
I have one of the ABU 2100 Record reels which I bought 2nd hand back in the early 1970s after reading Dave Stuart’s ‘Roach’ book where he said he used this reel for trotting very occasionally just for fun (see pic below which was from an article that I myself wrote about trotting with a centrepin). It’s a great tiny little multiplier reel.

Keith
I bought a 2100 Record at an estate auction around 2001-2. I'd gone for a Richard Walker Mk. IV Signature rod and I pulled out of the bidding at £200. The Record went for just over £30 Plus commission. I intended using it for pike fishing, but couldn't get on with the tiny spool. I put it on ebay at 99 pence start, 7 day auction. Next morning it was over £150 and I had lots of messages from Japanese, Koreans, Yanks and Germans wanting me to sell it to them off auction. I let it run and made almost exactly £200 net profit. I honestly did not know its worth.

The history of the Record is seeped in mystery. There was a famous angling writer who's pen name was Jock Scott. He was adviser to Hardy and had a similar reel to the Record named after him. During the period that he advised Hardy he had also been advising ABU and had some input into the Record's design. It is thought that he was playing both ends against the middle.

I have several Aero reels. When they discontinued the model I bought three new / boxed 8000's from Germany. They are head and shoulders above the modern Shimano reels of the same price range.

@Clive

Reaction score
My first Shimmy was a sea spin the 80s (that took over from my Cardinal 55s which in turn took over from my 300s in the 70s) . Still have a pair of Japanese made Aero 5000GTEs and a Stradic from the late 90s in perfect condition and in regular use.
Those 70's Mitchell 300s were horrible Jerry. I bought one with my paper round money and still have it. The earlier models from the 50's are far better made. The one I have sounds like a tractor transmission compared to the second version made about 20 years previously. The version Walker used. I think they went downhill sometime in the early to mid 60's. My two 440A Match models from the 70's are a lot smoother than the 300.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Those 70's Mitchell 300s were horrible Jerry. I bought one with my paper round money and still have it. The earlier models from the 50's are far better made. The one I have sounds like a tractor transmission compared to the second version made about 20 years previously. The version Walker used. I think they went downhill sometime in the early to mid 60's. My two 440A Match models from the 70's are a lot smoother than the 300.
The 300s were/are mid/late 50's Clive, I was still using them in the early 70's and caught my first 20lb plus carp at Billing in the mid 60's using one of them attached to a MK1V. Although not perfect I much preferred the 55s for carp in the 70's. I still have my 300s nesting in the roof space somewhere. Talking about horrible reels I tried an early Daiwa in the 60's - soon went back to the 300s.