Single hooks for pike

Andy M

Reaction score
I want to switch over entirely to single hooks this year and have a couple of questions for more experienced members:
First, when using singles, circle or other, are there significant advantages to hair rigging dead-baits relative to hooking through the jaws?
Second, a fellow on youtube stated that it is no good using circle hooks when legering because if the lead is lifted it can bounce up and down and affect the hook set.
Your thoughts please.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have used single hooks for years now as I consider the hook points are more dangerous than the pikes teeth if it suddenly shakes its head.
Long shank Aberdeens 1/0's or similar used singly or in pairs I have found are about right and I can recast sardines all day long without them flying off. Give them a try on one rod until you get used to them.

john step

Reaction score
When using singles I use size 1 catfish hooks. I have tried and caught on circles but failed to hook up too many times to be confident especially when conditions are hard and bites a premium.
Singles....Easier to extract from a net tangle.
Easy to unhook.
Ideal for a pop up kebab.
Ok for smallish deads if used singly.
When Using sink and draw I prefer a single through the head and a treble in the flank to give a bend and a wobble. I would use a double hook for the rear instead but they are like hens teeth. The ones I have found are only at 90 degrees not the preferred 180 degrees.

Hair rigging is all very well and a positive advantage early on when the water is warm and the pike tend to gobble food down greedily. However hair rigging will not result in so many hook ups when the water is cold and the pike have the irritating habit of lightly holding a bait sitting on the bottom playing with it without taking it properly. Thats when double trebles are an advantage.

If the video you quote is from the chap who advocates Tress, beware. Its an import from France. The specification has changed. The UK distributor has stopped selling it as it no longer contains wraps of woven wire in the braid. Not safe for pike anymore. Luckily I bought a stock before the change.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I have used single hooks for years now as I consider the hook points are more dangerous than the pikes teeth if it suddenly shakes its head.
Long shank Aberdeens 1/0's or similar used singly or in pairs I have found are about right and I can recast sardines all day long without them flying off. Give them a try on one rod until you get used to them.
Can I ask how to best hook sardines with those Aberdeen hooks? I know from my few unsuccessful pike outings with single circle hooks that the area near the dorsal fin is fairly tough and tail/ lip hooking too, do you use those areas with the long shank Aberdeens? my attempts have only involved underarm swings across the canal but after a few chucks the sardine comes off!

keora

Reaction score
Andy, I've pike fished for a long time, you can get biteless days, yet I've never thought I'd get more bites with a dead bait on a hair rig. The large hook and wire traces used in pike fishing must be visible to fish, even if the bait is on a hair rig a few inches away. But it's up to you, try it if you feel it's right.

Here's the hook I use, usually a 2/0:

I don't leger for pike, I use a float instead. I wouldn't have thought that a lead on a leger rig would affect the setting of the circle hook. In fact when I float fish I use an 11 or even 20gm lead to balance the float.

Notts Michael - the best place to hook a sardine dead bait is in the hard flesh immediately next to the rays of the tail fin. It's called the caudal penduncle.

The head area will hold a hook. I find the area below the dorsal fin is too soft for the hook to give a good hold.