Six huge barbel abused for publicity pictures and a video. The Thames Six

mikench

Reaction score
The whole thing ie video is perhaps a scam. Who knows and who cares. The fact remains the guy in the video is a prat aided and abetted perhaps by other prats. He deserves the utmost contempt and opprobrium from everybody who enjoys angling , respects fish and cares more for their welfare than a poxy, expletive riddled video giving the prat a brief moment of infamy. The less said the better.

@Clive

Reaction score
As I said to clive earlier in this thread but he chose to ignore ..I’m led to believe the fish were caught from a boat .. so there is no controlling club

You also said that I had been banned from a forum. Both are incorrect
Riparian fishing rights

The presumption is, as set out above, that the owner of land adjoining a non-tidal river or stream also owns the bed of the river to the middle line, so unless that presumption has been rebutted, a riparian owner has the sole right to fish in the water within their boundary.

Telboy63

Reaction score
So tell me clive since when has the thames been non tidal
… get yourself back to google

Keith M

Reaction score
The tidal stretch of the Thames starts at Teddington lock which means that over half of the Thames is NOT tidal; and the Barbel in the Thames are known to frequent the Non-Tidal stretches; although it is possible that an odd Barbel could have got pass the tidal lock at some time or other.

NB: I read that the Barbel in the rivers Avon and Stour are thought to have spread between each other via Chichester harbour so apparently it is possible for them to be able to survive for a very short time in brackish water but even that is conjecture.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I have no idea where he was fishing, but the implication from the OP was that contacting the owner of fishing rights was not possible simply because the angler was boat fishing. Nothing about it being a tidal venue. I think that you will find that the Thames is not tidal throughout its length. Teddington is the tidal limit. If he ws fishing upstream of there then the fishing rights belong to the owners of the banks.

Irrispective of this you would have no inclination to contact the owner anyway. Its all about registering your indignation and dragging the bloke through a trial by social media.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The tidal stretch of the Thames starts at Teddington lock which means that over half of the Thames is NOT tidal; and the Barbel in the Thames are known to frequent the Non-Tidal stretches; although it is possible (but very unlikely) that an unrecorded Barbel could have got pass the tidal lock at some time or other.

NB: I read that the Barbel in the rivers Avon and Stour are thought to have spread between each other via Chichester harbour so apparently it is possible for them to be able to survive for a very short time in brackish water but even that is pure conjecture.

Keith

A known fish from beat two on Throop was caught in the Great Weir on the Royalty,then it reappeared up the Stour,this took place over two or three years I believe,it was fairly well documented at the time,also you must remember the Royalty up to the Great Weir is classed as tidal,as is the boulder weir up towards Meadowbanks caravan park on the Stour,the biggest shock to me is that barbel get over the boulder weir,but it must be remembered that in periods of high water the water is virtually level,the fish would have to go around Clay Pool,but the harbour there is full of coarse fish,roach,dace,bream and some very large carp well downstream of Clay Pool so the amount of salt water must be minimal in main,with fish running the gauntlet upstream on tidal surges...to add large bass have been caught on the Royalty and Stour,with mullet running up to Throop Mill in May-June and the entirety of the Royalty...

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Good Barbel are present below Teddington lock(the start of the tidal Thames),the range of tidal movement can be very large,unlike the Avon and Stour.Very large Barbel have been caught for years around Oxford(above and below) as well as much lower, downstream of Windsor...

@Clive

Reaction score
Full of assumptions clive
At least I know that the Thames is non tidal in parts where barbel are caught. And I know that I haven't been chucked off the forum you mention. And you have the gall to say that I am full of assumptions. :rolleyes:

It seems that you are just intent on stirring up trouble. Much like your posts on BFW. "Muckle din and little woo, quo' the deil when he clippet the soo".

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The only barbel I saw caught in the Thames was a 7lb one between Richmond and Twickenham, it is tidal but not brackish, too far up and roach and other coarse fish were there, however I have caught a tiny flatfish near Barnes, was not a flounder more like a baby dab or plaice.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The tidal Thames is one of the biggest bass nurseries in Europe,which run right up the river to Teddington lock,Staines,Windsor,Penton Hook and surrounding areas have decent heads of barbel,very high barbel are present however around Oxford,as I said earlier location and numbers are pretty small,or were...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The tidal Thames is one of the biggest bass nurseries in Europe,which run right up the river to Teddington lock,Staines,Windsor,Penton Hook and surrounding areas have decent heads of barbel,very high barbel are present however around Oxford,as I said earlier location and numbers are pretty small,or were...
I was trying to remember that Penton Hook, Virginia Waters was another one I think, I heard of several barbel being caught but apart from the one I saw at Twickenham, I think they are all above Teddington Lock. Probably an odd fish that got below the lock. The bloke showed me it, nice fish but must have been rare.

Hallbo1

Reaction score
I left it a couple of days to respond and the post has drifted away from the subject and is now discussing bass nurseries and the tidal sections of the Thames.

If you want to chat about catching barbel from brackish water put up a new post and please leave the fish welfare discussion to the genuine anglers.

I am surprised that Peter has not called ‘order order stick the point’.

@Clive

Reaction score
I left it a couple of days to respond and the post has drifted away from the subject and is now discussing bass nurseries and the tidal sections of the Thames.

If you want to chat about catching barbel from brackish water put up a new post and please leave the fish welfare discussion to the genuine anglers.

Genuine anglers like Terry Two-Swivels? He thinks the whole Thames is tidal :rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Apologies for breathing.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

Just possibly the posters on here don’t really want to put up loads of negative comments and show angling in a poor light. Which is what you seem so determined to do.

I have never seen anybody on this forum advocate poor practice in regard to fish care or welfare, so I am at a loss as to what you are trying to achieve. If it’s giving ammunition to anti’s then you appear to be doing a fine job. If it’s preaching to the converted then likewise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been a member here for over 22 years and a moderator for 21 of them and in all that time I’ve never seen a post on here advocating mistreatment of fish. In fact the opposite is my experience.

I would ask the OP if he has posted this in any other fishing forums (other than BFW) as I’ve not seen it anywhere else.

John Aston

Reaction score

How very patronising and rude . Like many conversations , this one drifted in a different direction. It 's what happens in , y'know, real life? To suggest only 'genuine anglers' stick to the original ' fish welfare discussion'( is that what it was? I did wonder ) is also totally uncalled for.