Slider Float Rods

B

Birds Nest

Folks, what would you go for in a rod when fishing a slider. I've had a few probs with my JW Avon's tip rings not being all that big to allow the stop knot through, and was wondering what any of you could suggest. It'd need to handle lines of about 4-6lb, perhaps 8 at a push... I'm thinking perhaps a light carp rod would be a good solution... Unless I'm perhaps not using the best material for a stop knot, 3lb nylon... any advice, as usual, is greatly appreciated.

S

R

Rob Brownfield

Firstly, are u cutting the tags of the stop knot short? U need to leave them long, about an inch and a half or more. They travel through the rod rings much better. I have used nylon and 4 pound power gum. Both worked equally well, and I have also used them on a JW avon rod.

I presume u are after Tench/Bream? If so, Nash do a rod called the Hooligan in 11 feet 1 and a quarter test curve with largish rings...its under ?100. Maybe worth a look, or possibly have a look at some of the POWER Waggler rods for bagging carp waters???

Hope this helps

D

Davy North

Has anyone tried Polaris floats. Those awfully nice people at AT sent me some for a letter I sent a few weeks back. But bloody Hell they're BIG! I'm sure I could fish a dead bait for pike on the 2oz+ bodied waggler.

Are they any good?

B

Birds Nest

You know Rob, I think your right, I am cutting them a bit short, I'm off to a local pit to give it another try next week, I'll try the longer tags a try,. I might look at power gum too... Oh Bream and tench.. yup..

M

Mark Frame

davy
i used them for the first time last season and they are brill.
perfect for deep water as no stop nots to get in the way.
believe it or not for a big ugly float i thought they were pretty sensitive

R

Ron Clay

I like using sliding floats over deep water. They are much more sensitive than legering in all it's forms. Great method for catching big roach, tench and bream from gravel pits where you have deep water under your rod tip.

Three lakes at Selbly is like this. Great roach fishing by the way

B

Birds Nest

Ron,

I totally agree.. And it is a big grav pit im intending to use it on.

S