Slider Ups & Downs

ian g

Reaction score
I use a semi loaded float Alan , more out of habit I suppose but I get your point if you aren't casting a distance . I suppose it's a bit of a safety thing to keep the the float close to the bulk . I think the spacing of shot below the bulk is more important to prevent tangles.

Reaction score
As I say,I can fish 25-30m easily,no whooshing,to be honest I usually fish two no.8's,or 10's,I used to regularly fish no 1's or 4's,but found I was often catching fish on the drop in the last three feet of fall,these days 99% of my tangles just fall out and I dont get many period...

Philip

Reaction score
I spotted someone using this strange slider set-up. He said it worked. An olivette with a tube as a stiff boom, plus shot. A bit too complicated for me!

When I first saw the photo it looked uncannily like the boom on a drifter float setup although if its an Olivette it obviously cannot be.

I have used sliders a lot, not always for fishing deeper water. I don’t know if it was already mentioned but one of the other advantages of a sliding setup is also for roving/stalking type situations. If you have a rough idea but don’t know the exact depth you can set the stop knot over depth then tighten up till the float cocks so you fishing in just 1 cast rather than messing about trying to plumb up to exact depth in each swim scaring everything away.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I use that method quite a lot when I lay on for perch in the Severn . It works well as you can just lift the rod and move the bait now and again , searches the swim and the movement often provokes a take.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I put a small shot about 5 or 6ft above my bulk shot so the float hangs there when casting a slider in deep water or a distance, stops it all tangling.

The other thing is getting your stop knot right, if the tabs are too long they can get wrapped around a ring when you cast, too short and they can snag a ring especially the top ring, somewhere between about 1-3 inches possibly because it depends on the line you use for the knot and type/size of rings etc. Better to start with long tabs because you can always cut them back a bit if they start to wrap or look like or feel like they are going to, you can tell sometimes by listening to them going through the rings when you cast if you got it right or wrong..

I have put larger rings on a rod before to adapt it for slider fishing especially the end ring, there is no point to those tiny rings anyway. I used to fish the slider a lot on a reservoir, I use to like to get to the bottom edge of a shelf that was about 15ft deep about 30 yds. out, fish used to patrol it, definitely upped my catches once I got it all sorted out.

Last edited:

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Brilliant article again @Dave Coster & great comments below to go with it.
The modern Rods I use have small eyes and I've had to use 4lb Maxima with 2.5lb Maxima Stop Knots.
Can anyone recommend a new or old 14ft rod with bigger eyes to use for slider fishing at 30m+ into Deep Water?

Reaction score
You should be able to fish 5-6lb reel line through standard stand off rings,I use two stop knots tied with 0.14mm line and again as I dont like long rods much,my preference is for 13fters....

Philip

Reaction score
What material are people using for their stop knots and what knot are they using ?

I have messed around with numerous but have never really been 100% happy with any of them. At the moment I am using a thin braid with a Billy Lane 5 turn stop knot.

...Interested in what others are doing.

mikench

Reaction score
Can someone clarify the length of the tag ends as 1-3" seems long. Should it be 1-3 cm?

mikench

Reaction score
I still find it hard to fathom why a small knot will pass more easily through rod eyes with tag ends of 3cm than without.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
You should be able to fish 5-6lb reel line through standard stand off rings,I use two stop knots tied with 0.14mm line and again as I dont like long rods much,my preference is for 13fters....
It's a 14ft Team Daiwa Waggler Rod, Alan and the top eyes are rather small. I'm just thinking I should use a genuine 4lb 0.17mm Reel Line as Dave pointed out in the article, 4lb Maxima mics up at 0.20mm.
I'll try 3lb Maxima & 2lb Maxima for Stop Knots.
I like Maxima for Stop Knots & Matt Godfreys uses N-Gauge Co-Polymer (Very good Slider Angler too and has a Chapter on the subject in The Rising Antenna).
He has an excellent video on YouTube too - Slider Fishing For Silverfish
There are tonnes of different ways to tackle up the Slider Rig but I do like the end of Geoff Cooper's Rig in his video Fishing The Slider where he has 3no.6s as Droppers with the Sz12 Hook is 3ft from the Bulk. This enables hybrids, roach & bream to be caught on the Drop.
The three no.6s adding up to a no.1 shot (0.3g) & these will register nicely on the Slider. I would change the bottom dropper to a Sz10 Cralusso Quick Change Swivel (0.1g) though which would help with spin ups and connecting Hooklengths.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Can someone clarify the length of the tag ends as 1-3" seems long. Should it be 1-3 cm?
It might seem too long, I messed around a lot with this knot, on one rod I used if the stubs were too short they caught on the end ring as they would be too stiff sticking out from the knot because they don't bend as easily as longer loose ends, especially on the tiny end rings that some float rods have, too long and the stub ends could sometimes wrap around the rings as they backlashed when passing through. This was using a length of my main line usually about 4lb 5lb strain. I have not used it for a long time as I don't fish the water anymore, as I remember it it was about 1.5- 2inch that proved ideal for flowing through the rings of the rod I used without snagging and not catching up on the end ring. It will vary from rod to rod and what line is used, type of rings, strength of cast etc.; that's why I said maybe best to leave at least longish stub ends at first and see how it goes, can always trim them back back otherwise you have to replace the whole knot if it is too short to begin with.
I said 1-3 inches just as a general guide as I wouldn't know what rods anyone else was using, if the rings are large it probably doesn't matter but often they are not and someone doing this for the first time might be fore warned.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What material are people using for their stop knots and what knot are they using ?

I have messed around with numerous but have never really been 100% happy with any of them. At the moment I am using a thin braid with a Billy Lane 5 turn stop knot.

...Interested in what others are doing.
I always just used a length of the main line I was using, usually about 4 or 5lb as I was mainly after tench or bream on a reservoir; I just cut off a length before tackling up; there may be better ways or material but I just did what was convenient. I just used the knot I used was that wrap around six turns and pass the end back through the gap, I cannot remember what it is called, water knot maybe.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Not related to sliders but one advantage of very long tag ends on stop knots used as markers is that you can tuck them into the line clip on a reel to get pin point casting distance each cast but they can be pulled easily out of the clip if you hook a large fish that takes line....e.g feeder fishing for Bream, clip up the marker knot for exact casting but easily yank it free if you hook a Carp that storms off....in addition zero damage to your main line caused by overtight line clips.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I still find it hard to fathom why a small knot will pass more easily through rod eyes with tag ends of 3cm than without.

I do exactly the same as Mark g and it works for me.

I use silicone tube swivel float adapters with little brass bushes in the end, but I am almost out of them and I haven’t yet found a new supplier. I don’t usually bother with a bead for the stop knot but if I am using silicone swivel float adaptors, then I squish the eye of the swivel a bit with a pair of forceps so the stop knot doesn’t pass through the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
My mate uses a fine pole elastic for the stop knot , while I use braid , usually 2 knots . Both work well.