Someone really wanted this...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Or has more money than sense. I love all my Marksmen but I would never pay that much.

But how much were yours new, because now you can't get one they have become desirable for fishing with, not collecting, personally I wouldn't be paying more than £150 for a bomb rod, a barbel or chub or float rod yes, but if you did a lot of bomb fishing and thought the Hardy was the best....you might well be tempted...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I only bought two of them new and even then got really good deals. All bar one of the others I got for silly money from the shop that bought up all Hardys clearance Markmen stock. I did get one off the Bay but paid about £150 which I thought was worth it as I badly wanted that particular rod. I’ve got a Marksmen landing net pole too which I found in the corner of my local ts. The wooden end cap had come off so they let me have it for £15…..bargain.
My only regret is that I didn’t get any of the Marksman luggage which was also available for next to no money from the shop where I bought the rods.

Tackle tart ? Moi ?

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
If you think it is a really good bit of tackle and get it for a good price, then tackle tart, nah, better to buy quality than buy poop several times before buying the right item.... My gear is high end in the main rod wise and those that aren't are great rods for the money and should cost a lot more imho....

Aknib

Reaction score
I’ve got a Marksmen landing net pole too which I found in the corner of my local ts. The wooden end cap had come off so they let me have it for £15…..bargain.
I think that might have been a common problem Skip, i've had two and it happened to both!

I still use the 'butt' section of my later one as my sole landing net pole at around 7' in length after splicing in, painting and varnishing to match a separate, one piece landing net pole.

I occasionally cuss at full reach but know it will do everything for me and the one thing I didn't like about the original telescopic pole was how quickly the beautiful finish and look deteriorated once it had been used a few times with the inevitable (in my part of the world) grit wearing off the finish every time I extended and retracted it.

Aknib

Reaction score
My only regret is that I didn’t get any of the Marksman luggage which was also available for next to no money from the shop where I bought the rods.

It was exceptionally good quality, I had (surprise!) most of it at one time or another but generally found it overkill in size, even the quiver was bulky and felt like it would double up as a bivvy and I gradually got rid.

The one exception being the Smuggler Holdall, that was a perfect bit of kit for me.

I wore two out and even got thirty five quid for the second one with a hole in the bottom.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think that might have been a common problem Skip, i've had two and it happened to both!
Mine was very poorly glued but easily rectified. TBH I rarely use mine as I find it a bit heavy. Special days and venues only….I don’t want a bream anywhere near it

The BF bagged a Marksman hold-all from the same ts but I was neck deep in bags at the time and couldn’t see past the rods. I don’t really miss it and the BF rarely uses his for fear of it getting muddy. It’s rather big too iirc

Last edited:

alantherose

Reaction score
I find it grating when eBay sellers attempt to palm off a tired looking classic for too much money. There are some daft examples of overpriced Speedia, Match Aerial and Trudex/Rapidex reels out there.

Aknib

Reaction score
It was exceptionally good quality, I had (surprise!) most of it at one time or another but generally found it overkill in size, even the quiver was bulky and felt like it would double up as a bivvy and I gradually got rid.

The one exception being the Smuggler Holdall, that was a perfect bit of kit for me.

I wore two out and even got thirty five quid for the second one with a hole in the bottom.

Well wadd'ya know!

A blue moon is upon us and a once in a blue moon bit of kit comes along, it's a long time since i've seen one of these come up...

Be interesting to see what it goes for considering the current bid, am I tempted?

Hell yes but NO!

alantherose

Reaction score
Here for sale are thirteen line guides for a Normark 2000 mkII. £599. You just need the blank, the whippings and the reel seat 😉

mikench

Reaction score
The seller is having a laugh and deserves a shirty communication. I do this occasionally when an item for sale at an extortionate price irks me . A guy was selling 2 alka seltzer tablets for £20 . They are in short supply but a box of 20 is around £4.50. I felt better after responding to him.😉

@Clive

Reaction score
Here for sale are thirteen line guides for a Normark 2000 mkII. £599. You just need the blank, the whippings and the reel seat 😉
Sellers with long term Buy Now auctions who have temporarily run out of stock can alter the price to make sure that nobody buys it while it is out of stock. That guards against negative feedback if the buyers receive their order later than they expected. If the seller took the item off sale and re-listed when they had more stock it would cost them a listing fee. It happens a lot.

alantherose

Reaction score
Sellers with long term Buy Now auctions who have temporarily run out of stock can alter the price to make sure that nobody buys it while it is out of stock. That guards against negative feedback if the buyers receive their order later than they expected. If the seller took the item off sale and re-listed when they had more stock it would cost them a listing fee. It happens a lot.
Ah, I see.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well I use an Aldi fishing bag for my barbel kit(I reckon it was 12 quid or so), I had a Nash before that that was around 35, the Aldi one is far better imb, we've been overcharged for fishing luggage for years....

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use an Aldi one for travel light, a larger ngt one if taking more pellets etc and a Drennan carryall for the occasional match or taking more gear such as large box of feeders , pellets groundbait etc .

nottskev

Reaction score
Well I use an Aldi fishing bag for my barbel kit(I reckon it was 12 quid or so), I had a Nash before that that was around 35, the Aldi one is far better imb, we've been overcharged for fishing luggage for years....

I recently threw out a Tricast rod holdall. It weighed a ton empty! I've never in my life broken a rod in transit, so I'm out of step with anglers who calculate and compare every gram of a rod's weight then put their featherlight creation in heavy luggage. Just now, I'm using a simple quiver with a couple of lightweight tubes for float rods. If I'm taking more robust barbel rods, I ditch the tubes and takes the rods in their bags. For made up rods, again the more robust types, a soft, lightly padded sleeve does fine.

I have a couple of bags of different sizes, both plain, green Wychwood ones which I bought discounted 7 or 8 years ago. Of all possible tackle, I think luggage is the least interesting and I wonder how much "looking the part" is factor? Some match anglers have sets of luggage - a zipped case for everything strewn around them - that would shame their wives' handbag collections.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I use a Brennan and Hickman sock style holdall for rods in tubes, I've had it for countless years and after the strap went I stored it and went through several holdals, until one of them gave out but had a good strap, a more robust holdall has bever been made imo, as for made up rods I use a Korum holdall(not quiver) which protects the rods quite well,I've had it ten plus years and it's looking a little scruffy but unless the zips go I think it will see me out...