Split cane rod.

Oily rag

Reaction score
Hi can anybody help with information on German Noris split cane rod. The rod is in its original cloth bag , it has five sections, 3 to make up 10’6” float rod and another 2 piece with its own butt section. This is 6’ looks like boat rod. Is this combination common as I can’t find any information on the web. Any help greatly appreciated. Peter.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi can anybody help with information on German Noris split cane rod. The rod is in its original cloth bag , it has five sections, 3 to make up 10’6” float rod and another 2 piece with its own butt section. This is 6’ looks like boat rod. Is this combination common as I can’t find any information on the web. Any help greatly appreciated. Peter.
6ft split cane rod are not uncommon, usually for boat fishing, usually quite old, usually like a broom handle. I don't know of anyone that even collects them like a coarse split cane that can be quite a wonderful rod. I see them in junk shops now and then as I live on the coast, some 8ft-10ft old cane sea rods as well probably for pier or jetty fishing, again often like broom sticks. Grandfather might have used them once but not any more. Sea boat rods in light carbon are more the thing. They are virtually worthless to a collector although I see £10 or £20 on them occasionally. The other rod I don't know but could be a nice rod and has some value. As Clive says, do some online research might be worth while.

@Clive

Reaction score
Our forum sponsor sold a German Norris fly rod from the 1920's / 30's and gave these details in the description;

There is not a lot of information to be easily found online about the Noris company but it appears they became part of the Shakespeare family in 1965 and the name subsequently disappeared afterwards.

If the op were to post photos of the rod sections and handles we might be able to discern whether it is a combination rod or two rods.