Spooling Reel!

ludlow86

Reaction score
So I have just spooled my reel and am not sure if its to optimum level or not. I would really appreciate a second opinion.

Many thanks :thumbs:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Looks fine to me. Any more than that and I'd be worried about it nesting up on the cast - but then I have a way with tangles!!!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Looks absolutely fine to me :D

Any more line and it's gonna peel off far to easily and start to cause you trouble and if it's under filled you'll be impeding on yer cast.

ludlow86

Reaction score
Cheers chaps! Time to load the feeder reel now!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chrissh

Reaction score
Looks good … Spool to within 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) of its rim fill the reel spool right up to the lip will result in line spill and tangles.”

theartist

Reaction score
As the others have said - looks good But also take care if the first trip out with it coincides with a windy day (which is likely of late) As many a new spool has been undone by the wind and even the most well laid one is an easy target for Mr wind to do his tricks

A lot gets mentioned about centrepins and line lay but to me open faced reels often feel better after they've had a trip out or a good fish on to settle the new line in.

ludlow86

Reaction score
Again, thank-you all. Can't wait to get out there now!

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
What I normally do with a freshly spooled reel after the first few 'tentative' casts is stick an ounce or so of lead on and give it a really good proper 'carpers' lob (if you've got the room).

I don't know if it makes any difference but it makes me feel a bit more happy that the lines been wetted and strung out (and reeled in) under some tension.

I do sometimes notice that the 'fullness' of the spool looks slightly less after a few casts into the lower atmosphere - like I said it makes me feel more confident so that I can then concentrate on worrying about everything I might be doing wrong!!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
As the others have said - looks good But also take care if the first trip out with it coincides with a windy day (which is likely of late) As many a new spool has been undone by the wind and even the most well laid one is an easy target for Mr wind to do his tricks

A lot gets mentioned about centrepins and line lay but to me open faced reels often feel better after they've had a trip out or a good fish on to settle the new line in.

Absolutely mate, quite agree,

I'm an original Abu close face man meself :D

ludlow86

Reaction score
What I normally do with a freshly spooled reel after the first few 'tentative' casts is stick an ounce or so of lead on and give it a really good proper 'carpers' lob (if you've got the room).

I don't know if it makes any difference but it makes me feel a bit more happy that the lines been wetted and strung out (and reeled in) under some tension.

I do sometimes notice that the 'fullness' of the spool looks slightly less after a few casts into the lower atmosphere - like I said it makes me feel more confident so that I can then concentrate on worrying about everything I might be doing wrong!!
That's sounds like a good plan. Will definitely bear that one in mind. Thanks