Standing room only

jon atkinson

Reaction score
What is it with these total blenders who think that it is OK to pose standing with their capture? Happily, I don't think that I've seen such a post on these pages, but numerous pages on Faceache et al show people holding fish waist high or more - if the fish that they're showing off wriggles & flips, it's most likely a gonner, particularly on a canal towpath. Really grinds my gears...

Aknib

Reaction score
I read this post a few days ago and agree entirely with the sentiment.

I then reflected and looked through countless images and realised I did exactly the same thing!

I will add that each image was without consequence, I also noted that my larger fish were held closer to the ground but I have no hesitation in holding a fish of any weight at standing level if I feel I have the experience and full control, and possess the capability of anticipating and adjusting to its movements...

sent.JPG

Keith M

Reaction score
90% of the time I would be kneeling over an unhooking mat when I’m photographed holding a fish; or I would photograph the fish lying on the mat on its own; however if I did on a very rare occasion; have a shot taken while holding a fish up higher then it would only be if I was absolutely sure that I was in full control and I was right next to or standing over water.

The Slipping clutch

Since I had my stroke a few years ago I will sometimes photograph a larger fish by lying next to it rather than try to lift it off of the ground; like in the photo below:

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I've got more pics of other people holding fish than of myself. I'm sometimes asked, do you want me to take a pic of you with that? I almost always decline - I'll just take a quick pic in the net, thanks. I'll hold a fish low if I do accept the offer. I'm not really that keen on being in the pic's myself, and the fish is usually better looking anyway

aza.jpg

steve2

Reaction score
One thing that seems to be getting popular now for some reason is pictures of perch with the anglers finger in it mouth. Also the mat police are doing the rounds on many forums.

@Clive

Reaction score
90% of the time I would be kneeling over an unhooking mat when I’m photographed holding a fish; or I would photograph it on its own lying on the mat; however if I did on a very rare occasion; have a shot taken while holding a fish up higher then it would only be if I was absolutely sure that I was in full control and I was right next to or standing over water.

The Slipping clutch

Since I had my stroke a few years ago I will sometimes photograph a larger fish by lying next to it rather than try to lift it off of the ground; like in the photo below:

Keith
Half the members on here wouldn't be able to get back up unaided :ROFLMAO:

nottskev

Reaction score
One thing that seems to be getting popular now for some reason is pictures of perch with the anglers finger in it mouth. Also the mat police are doing the rounds on many forums.

I don't like that way of gripping perch at all. I agree there are some holier-than-thou fish-care types about, too. But if I'm after fish that are likely to weigh a few pounds and can't be comfortably unhooked in the net, I do carry and use a lightweight mat. I don't feel that's to be dismissed as PC - often the ground around is rough and unsuitable, and even patches of grass can contain thorns, twigs and bits of rough or sharp stuff that wont be kind to fish lying or flapping about on them. I put the fish, still in the net, on the mat, unhook, take a pic if I choose, and put the fish, still in the net back, usually without even handling it. If that's being in the "mat police", evening all.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I went fishing this summer in Thailand with two of my sons. The Thai’s take fish care very seriously, unless they are for food that is. I don’t think it’s out of a sense of kindness, rather they are expensive assets.

In the places I fished the landing is done by the guide in the water. If you need a photo you have to get in the water too. I caught a gert lump of a Siamese carp, the guide unhooked it while I clambered down a ladder into the lake. As I took the fish into my arms for the photo it made a last gasp dash for freedom The guide made an effort to grab the fish, but it now had a head of steam up. It hit him in the torso at about solar plexus height. Being lightly built he was lifted off of the bottom and propelled backwards at a great speed. It reminded me of the way girls are lifted by porpoises at sea-world type shows. He would most probably still be going now, if he hadn’t slammed into a moored rowing boat. I can still hear the sound of his head clonking against the planks. I don’t think he was best pleased at my boys laughing out loud when he surfaced, or the other guides who also saw what had happened. The fish was okay though.

IMG_5327.jpeg

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
It depends on the specific situation but typically for self take of a better fish I will kneel behind a mat and hold the fish over it. Sometimes I will just take a photo holding a fish in my hand or in a different pose. Obviously you need to apply common sense, keep it low, over the water etc etc.

About mats, I am one of the first to try and dampen down what I see as being OTT fish care but in the case of mats I dont see them as OTT. Of course thick damp grass will do but a mat is such a simple thing to stop a fish flapping around on a hard bank that its hard to argue against them.

John Aston

Reaction score
Judging by the expressions of faux outrage and virtue signalling online every time someone holds a fish too high/ out of sight of a mat / in the wrong place I'm tempted to photoshop a picture of a barbel on a gaff and enjoy some real sport .

Hard to argue against mats? I don't think so ....Am I expected to wade to the bank every time I catch a trout or grayling and spend five minutes finding some flat ground ? Or climb up a steep bank with the modest perch I've just caught instead of unhooking it in the net ? Or instead of unhooking a barbless lure from the pike in the water, net it , climb up the bank and unfurl the mat? As has been said before, mats became popular amongst carp guys - and , like tench, carp can survive quite happily out of water for a long time . Anyone advocating compulsory mat usage hasn't caught many big grayling I'd guess, as time is absolutely of the essence in returning them and everyone I know unhooks them in the net PDQ..

We seem to ascribe magic powers of healing to mats and their use has become almost cult like . If I catch a biggish fish and the ground is hard or stony etc I'll use one . If the ground is soft I won't . And oddly enough I never carry one with me when I'm wading to fish.

mikench

Reaction score
Apart from pics of me holding barbel with young Aknib, which I won’t post, I only have one of a Trevally taken in the gulf .

DSC01028.jpeg

If the holier than thou types really cared for fish they would take up golf.

steve2

Reaction score
T
Apart from pics of me holding barbel with young Aknib, which I won’t post, I only have one of a Trevally taken in the gulf .

View attachment 28656
If the holier than thou types really cared for fish they would take up golf.

Take up golf, only if you really want to carry a rule book. The mat police are nothing compared to golfers and their rule books,

mikench

Reaction score
That is why I gave it up after a run in with the Lady Captain who thought she was the Queen. I said my piece which was satisfying.