Stored mono.....should I replace?

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
All tackle is down to personal preference,I've seen many times opinions on lines for trotting,luckily that is all they are,because I find I can fish sticks as small as three no. 4's perfectly well and I have to fish light shottings down the line in the main,that equates to not having bulk shot to hang onto for those who don't know....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've only had problems with two stored monofilaments, Silstar Match Team that I used for heavy hook links had to be kept out the sun or quickly lost its strength and for that reason would never use for reel line, and one of my favourite hooklink lines, Ignesti Special that I'd stocked up with seemed to randomly become weak and I ended up throwing away several spools.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
And yet,I know at least six good match anglers who swear by Silstar match team as reel line Mark,for trotting too,they use 4.6lb 0.14mm,I think we all get stung sometimes,maybe where you bought the line from was left in the shop window for months,who knows,but I don't know of many lines that don't deteriorate in UV light...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
And yet,I know at least six good match anglers who swear by Silstar match team as reel line Mark,for trotting too,they use 4.6lb 0.14mm,I think we all get stung sometimes,maybe where you bought the line from was left in the shop window for months,who knows,but I don't know of many lines that don't deteriorate in UV light...
It was fine if kept dark and I've still got several spools that get used occasionally for hook links but on a reel I rarely got four sessions out of it before it was very weak.
I spooled up some Daiwa Justron 4lb last May and one spooling lasted my entire river season and still strong though replaced as not enough left of the 100 metres! Getting hold of that line in the UK isn't easy but the best river line I've used.

henrysnatch

Reaction score
Hey there! It's awesome that you're getting back into fishing! Joining a local club with some sweet ponds sounds like a solid plan. As for your tackle box situation, if those lines have been stored properly, away from the sunlight, they might still be good to go. But considering they're a few years old, it wouldn't hurt to replace them one by one when you can. Spending some cash on fresh lines is a small price to pay for peace of mind and better chances of reeling in those beauties. Just my thoughts, hope it helps!