Strange fish

frankreed60

Reaction score
45C04B04-95F0-441A-BF03-38618FD8500A.jpeg
45C04B04-95F0-441A-BF03-38618FD8500A.jpeg
Hi can anyone I’d this wee fish, about 3 in long, did not catch it, it fell from the sky into my garden in the heavy rain today.

john step

Reaction score
Flying fish.
On a serious note it may have been dropped by a gull?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Looks like a young lumpsucker to me. I used to fish a reef in the Sound of Mull for pollack, at certain times of the year they were stuffed with these little creatures!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I was with my uncle and a cousin many years ago and we had spent a really rough and windynight shore fishing at Ramsgate. The storm during the night was bad but my uncle Don wasn’t a man that was easily beaten. My cousin Gary and myself took a walk along the shore as the storm abated at first light and one of these was flung from the sea onto the beach right in front of us. It must have weighed at least three or four pounds. We tossed it back and it didn’t get thrown back. The same happened once with a decent whiting during a beach competition I fished at Hythe. Maybe it slipped someone’s hook as they reeled in and became disoriented, turning right when it should have turned left. That one looks a little the worse for wear though and may have been scavenged by a bird or possibly a fox.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It does look look like has been partially digested which makes it look like it has been in a gulls stomach or other bird. So, it could have been disgorged from a flying gull or something.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It does look look like has been partially digested which makes it look like it has been in a gulls stomach or other bird. So, it could have been disgorged from a flying gull or something.
They always look that way!

The lumpsucker has two fins on its belly that have developed to make a suction pad. It spends much of its time stuck to rocks, often where there is quite a tidal flow. The skin is covered in lumps 'n bumps and the texture is mottled and weedy coloured, excellent camouflage for its environment.

Nothing becomes quite that ugly without good reason! :sneaky:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They always look that way!

The lumpsucker has two fins on its belly that have developed to make a suction pad. It spends much of its time stuck to rocks, often where there is quite a tidal flow. The skin is covered in lumps 'n bumps and the texture is mottled and weedy coloured, excellent camouflage for its environment.

Nothing becomes quite that ugly without good reason! :sneaky:
Ah right, I didn't know that, cannot think I have come across one before.