Super Zoom Camera Wanted!

W

Wolfman Woody

Morespiders said "My Kodak Brownie is still the best camera ever made, came out in the 50s"

Not the BOX Brownie, which did come out long, long ago when you were just a teenager, Ron.

Morespiders is referring to the 127 version with see-through viewfinder, the executive version. He hasn't had it since the 50s, but rather found it whilst rummaging in a skip in the 80s. I know the truth!

And he doesn't know the Royal Family either. It's his so-called mate who he thinks is the royal family. Talk about gullible.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

In future Derek, don't make cracks about my soup bowl! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Ron,

Minolta stopped making Digital cameras a couple of years ago not 12 years although they may have name changed to Konica/Minolta about that time.

I have a Konica/Minolta A200 /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif] that is only 3 years old. I believe Konica /Minolta still make the lens for Sony [could well be wrong there?]

The A200 features a 28 - 200 zoom lens [7x] nowhere near the Panasonics 18x zoom.

Ron, just as a matter of interest, do you have a gillie to carry all your camera gear around for you? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Monk,

You just reminded me, I have a complete set of Father Ted DVD's to watch.

and should you need a bit of a laugh try here

Colin

Morespiders

Reaction score
See Ron, you cannot fool a real camera buff like me, get your facts right before you put finger to keyboard, You, Meldrew, and Monkey know shite about proper camera's!.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oy, Spiders! I had a Brownie TWIN TWENTY!

Impressed now, eh? /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a Lumix FZ 8 last year (predecessor to the model you are looking at) andI have been really pleased with it. It has 12x optical and an optional 4x digital zoom. While you can't change the lens the lens on the camera is more than adequate for most situations.

I have not had any problems with camera shake as it has anexcellent image stabilisation system. I take a lot of night landscape shots and I obviously use a tripod for those, but for general photos even at the highest zoom I don't bother and it has been spot on.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Just got myself a zoom lens, 70 to 300 f2.8 Nikkor DX with Vibration Reduction.

What a magic bit of glass!

The Monk

Reaction score
Ron that lens I have is a Sigma DX, 170 to 500mm 5.6 APO with a 86mm UV filter, the UV filter alone cost me £70 the lens was about 1k, I`m not sure what this will convert to digitally, it really is a powerful lens though and has its own tripod mount

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Digitally on all Nikon DSLRs except the D3, 200mm to 600mm or thereabouts.

Go and take some cricket shots this summer for your local paper.

W

Wolfman Woody

Is this it Ron?
lens70_200.jpg

It's the 70 -200 2.8 VR, not 300. Cool at £1,125 and discounted at that.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nah! I wish it was.

More like a 70 to 200 job which I've had for several years but discovered it works OK on my D300.

The Monk

Reaction score
This is the one I use Ron, it goes 3 times as long as you zoom out and really looks good for your street, its 170 to 500mm with an 86mm front at 5.6 cred/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif
<div align='center'><div align='center'>
SIGAF170500DGC.jpg

<br/><br/>

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

But it's more than street cred, there is no doubt that the utilisation of a big long lens is the bizarre equivalent of a phallic symbol.

W

Wolfman Woody

Monk's one of these that puts a lot of value in the "Mine's bigger than yours." theory.

You only have to look on ThinkCamera. I put up a very nice picture of a very nice fish and he has to put one on that's bigger. Then he belittles mine saying "Did it's mother know it was out."

Is there no depths to which this monk will stoop?