Targets for the coming season?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
What are your targets for the coming season?

I intend to target chub and barbel on the river Eden. There are some decent one’s in there but it’s quite hard. I also intend to do a fair bit of lure fishing. I had some decent fish last season on lures and enjoy doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
My (match fishing) season began in April. Having joined my first club, my first target was not to make a fool of myself.

Glad to say I managed that first time out, drew peg 1 and won the match, so I was delighted with the start.

The lads in the club have been superb and as an ‘out of towner’ ( they are based in Staffordshire and I live in the Wirral) have welcomed me and been a great laugh.

7 matches in, after a very wet day today, I’ve been in the top two places 4 times so I’m more than happy with that.

Next target is to break the ton in a match.

Away from match fishing I’ve joined a great little local club. Targets are spend more time fishing the club waters, which include some great river stretches. And to find time to participate in a work party.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I'm looking to take myself out of my small pond 'comfort zone' & put more time in on rivers - my club has access to some great stretches on the Dee, but the real challenge is to finally catch something (anything 🙏) from my local... the river Alt!

ian g

Reaction score
First thing for me is helping to run our clubs work party next week end on the Severn , I was out yesterday seeing what needs doing , mainly just swim cutting . It;s amazing how fast stuff grows in spring . Fishing wise I want to target barbel on the float through the summer and maybe a bit more lure fishing . I'll still be chasing perch but plan to devote some time to catching a few big chub . Most of all I'll just want to enjoy my fishing so don't really have any major targets

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have a new bit of club river to explore, a small stream that I have fished but will give it a bit more attention. I was also reconnoitering a harbor/estuary area last week; looks good for some float fishing from a jetty on the incoming tide. I did actually try some spinning for an hour but decided to go back with some float gear, big float and sand eels for bass; could be interesting and exciting or a complete waste of time-maybe maybe, we will see; possibly some mullet there as well. The stream and river, chub, roach and bream will probably be the main fare.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
To try the river more and to generally get out more. I have had too many distractions these last couple of years. Well that's my excuse anyway.

theartist

Reaction score
Take my dad fishing - I think I may have said similar this time last year but there you go that's the NHS and Covid for you.

Will miss most the start of the season as will be (finally) taking Dad into London for ops. He hasn't been fishing for nearly two years now so anywhere will do for us if we wet a line, no doubt a few decent roach, chub and barbel will find their way to my net over the season, I'm just hoping his will get wetted once more.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mine is to go back on the commercials more , Alders Farm and Tunnel Barn are the best two nearest to me, Both around an hour away . The two nearest two me are Panshill which has just had a refurb so that will get another visit ,last time it was 40lb of carp in less than half an hour, got fed up of catching . , and Milton Pools, not tried that,
Fish a couple of stretches of the Thames I have not fished ,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I'm looking to take myself out of my small pond 'comfort zone' & put more time in on rivers - my club has access to some great stretches on the Dee, but the real challenge is to finally catch something (anything 🙏) from my local... the river Alt!
The Alt is reputed to have some good roach in it , good luck .
If not to far and don't fancy your club stretches on the Dee,give the free stretch at Eccleston Ferry a try . Good fishing there as well .

jon atkinson

Reaction score
The Alt is reputed to have some good roach in it , good luck .
If not to far and don't fancy your club stretches on the Dee,give the free stretch at Eccleston Ferry a try . Good fishing there as well .
I did hear of a guy with a 60lb net of Roach from the Alt, quite a few years ago mind! I've only tried it trotting maggots 3 times and blanked 3 times! I love our Dee affiliations but there is a limit to how many times I'm prepared to put in a 3 hour round trip to fish them! Some guys in my club fish Eccleston occasionally - that is about half an hour closer, so could be a good shout - thank you!

john step

Reaction score
Try for those illusive river tench on the drain like river. I have learnt a bit more the last couple of summers so crossed fingers for mor success this year.
A few sessions on the Tidal to try for silvers.
One or two overnighters in my bivvy. I enjoy being out under canvas. Masochistic or what?
The problem with plans is that something always crops up to divert one.

barbelboi

Reaction score
We shall be staying with my son and his tribe for the start of the season. His property backs on to the river Aire so will be hoping for some grayling as we don't have any locally and have not caught any since the last LIF meet up some years ago........

rob48

Reaction score
To try the river more and to generally get out more. I have had too many distractions these last couple of years. Well that's my excuse anyway.
Same here. In the last nine months I've lost my father from a long illness and slow lingering death, my uncle died suddenly of a heart-attack just before Christmas, and then I had to have my dog put to sleep in March. I could do without any more of that for a while.

rayner

Reaction score
I am trying to get some stability into when I fish I'm still struggling at the moment. Tomorrow is yet another day to fish pellet waggler, I had an idea to fish paste which is probably my favourite way to fish. Conditions will be suited to fish a waggler, so the paste will be relegated again.
I suppose if I do have a target for this year, it will be more time on the bank with hopefully not so many distractions if I am lucky.

peterjg

Reaction score
To continue with my roach quest and to go fishing more with my wife and with my two grandsons.

The bad one

Reaction score
What are your targets for the coming season?

I intend to target chub and barbel on the river Eden. There are some decent one’s in there but it’s quite hard. I also intend to do a fair bit of lure fishing. I had some decent fish last season on lures and enjoy doing it.

You know something we don't Ray? Or is it the Kent Eden?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You know something we don't Ray? Or is it the Kent Eden?

The Eden in Kent. I haven’t done any night fishing for a while and we only have one stretch where it’s allowed. I have winkled a few barbel out in the past, but there are rumours of some into double figures and some very big chub. I intend to give it a good go.

The bad one

Reaction score
I hear rumours Ray of the Cumbrian Eden from time to time that the Ribble barbel have grown legs and walked up the M6. If they are catching Bills, it's very secret squirrel indeed!
I know it has some very big chub in it and John Conway has been on a few times with Fred Sykes of 1970s Carp fame, to try and catch a 7. I don’t think they had a 7 or many chub at all, as the fishing for them wasn’t easy with many blanks.