That Licence Fee

Reaction score
Absolutely,its a bit like anglers throwing abuse at boat owners on the canal,if it wasnt for boats there would be no canals,if you dont want barges going through your swim,dont fish navigable waterways,if say six kayaks came through an hour the fish would adjust,when thirty or more do,they revert to feeding at quieter times,it is difficult...

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I partly like paddle boarding for the same reason I like doing 5k Saturday Park runs and running in general, ie, lots of women seem to like doing both and it's a common ground way of chatting to them. but yes, winding in when a narrow boat passes is a pain but come on, it's not that much of a hardship in the great scheme of things, each to their own!

rayner

Reaction score
Yep, and that will be the others anglers reaction too if its your water that closes.

Its a good example of why the human race is ultimatly screwed as despite some enthusiastic cries to the contary your view actually reflects the majority.
Over my time fishing, I have been match fishing, which included team. I now have turned to fish alone. I enjoy my fishing alone, being able to pick my swim rather than drawing where I did not want to be.
So now I am a solitary angler who sits alone. being a solitary angler is a choice I made. With no one asking what time are we fishing to or have you had enough yet is a thing of the past.
If you feel the need to grump at my choices fair does fill your boots. I am in no fit state to join work parties.
If you think I'm screwed I can live with that, I do not have too many years left.

Philip

Reaction score
1643637184586.png

steve2

Reaction score
According to what I have read paddle boarding can be done anywhere with permitted access. I remember on countryfile they said it could be carried out on most waters with no mention of licences being needed or membership to the BCU.

Reaction score
Again,we as anglers have a pastime that is easily ruined by waterborn/bankside disturbance,the more regular that disturbance,the more damage is done,if ten kayakers/paddleboarders go by in one hit,the damage is slight,if they are five minutes apart the damage can be irreparable,i've said this on other threads,many pastimes can ruin our days,what can we do by just fishing do to ruin theirs,apart from acting like a thug obviously...

John Aston

Reaction score
As a community we ruin many people's days already .

Some of our number -

- eff and blind in public
- spend most of the day talking loudly on their phone
- where they can park near their swim , leave the car radio on full volume
- greet any enquiry with grunts
- crap in the bushes (and that's the considerate ones )
- cast so badly that trees can be festooned with wagglers , lures and leads
- discard food and drink wrappers/cans, as well as leaving line and hooks on the bank

Every angler is an ambassador for the sport but I despair at the behaviour of the minority who disgrace our sport

Reaction score
Agreed,but you sitting on the bank does not guarantee ruining a kayakers day,on a fast flowing relatively shallow clear river,it can be a disaster to to angler,ok if you have an hour before the next one comes...

steve2

Reaction score
Angling on rivers is now a minority part of angling so why shouldn't paddle boarders make use of what most of us are no longer using?
Maybe some of the bigger commercials and angling clubs could have paddle boarding days once a week for extra income. Only trouble would be that the income would exceed what they get from angling and more days would be booked up.
Won't happen, it happened on one of the waters I use to fish now anglers only have access when the paddle boarder and swimmers are not there.