- Aug 25, 2015
- Reaction score
- Upminster, Essex
Hi Fishface.Just remind me for the avoidance of any doubt in this story....
1) Did MG visit Canada?
2) Did he catch any carp when he was there?
3) When was the photo actually taken?
1. Yes, Martin and Yvonne visited Canada between the 18/19 th., June and 5/6 th., July 1989. According to Robin Monday he fished together with Martin on 16th. and 17th. June and then Martin went on holiday to Canada. Robin said the Martin was away for two and a half weeks. So Martin could have caught his carp on the 6th., 7th., 8th., or 9th., July. having returned from Canada but still on holiday before returning to work on Monday the 10 th. Martin phoned Robin Monday on Sunday 9th. to tell him of his catches and Martin showed me the photo on the evening of Tuesday 11th before showing it to Robin the following weekend. That evening Martin had open sores on his knuckles caused by a back spinning reel so that fits in with the timescale.
2. As far as I know Martin did not fish in Canada. His holiday/s there were to visit family not fish. I fished with Martin quite a few times. Johnsons in Kent, Sandy Balls on the Avon, Ricketts Mere, the Ockendon Lakes, and a Reserviour somewhere. He invited me on a trip to catch Nile Perch and although I didn't go he did. We use to meet up for chats and he also went to our Committee Meetings held on a Tuesday once a month.
He also socialised with my wife and I and would often turn up, particularly in the Close Season, for a game of Billiards with my two sons.
I knew Martin from the 1960's and he never ever mentioned fishing in Canada.
3. The photo must have been taken between the 6th. and the 9th. July 1989. I calculated that it was either the 7th. or the 8th.
He told me that he got the photos developed in Boots the Chemist of all places.