The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge Part 2

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Maybe just a carer! :eek:

The main thing though is - did you enjoy yourself? :confused:;)
:thumbs:

Loved it mate, cracking experience, the amount of little disasters are all part of the good memories, I have to laugh at my own stupidity at times

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Failed the challenge on the dove paul had 3 barbel to 12lb 2oz, mark had 1 barbel 9lb6 I lost 2 so I blanked and phil had some chub, currently on the derwent.

Jez

B

binka

Keep up the good work Jez and keep plugging, we're all willing you on mate :thumbs:

That's a "pass" in my book :)

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Failed on the derwent, i blanked so i am now totally fishless, infact i couldnt even manage a bite last night, paul lost a good fish to a hok pull :( big well done to Phil who had a nice brace of doubles taking our tally to 3

arrived on the trent, lets hope things improve

jez

B

binka

Team work Jez, that's what counts.

Nice one gonna... It could easily seem like the lazy dream to do such a challenge but after factoring in the realities of cost, logistics, planning, personal dedication and all of the careful preparation I can barely begin to imagine how these guys feel considering the weather that's been thrown at them this weekend and it's still early days!

Not such a dream after all eh, especially when you can't just pack up and go home when you've had enough.

Truly dedicated to the cause, I reckon they deserve the strongest of backing and support that we can give them :thumbs:

Go on lads, reel 'em in!

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
7 barbel taken on the Trent including a brace of doubles all by Phil in horrendous conditions, me and Paul both blanked.
As a team we're doing well only one individual needs to pull his finger out (me) 5 doubles now from 3 rivers
A few disasters have befell me already phone and mobile power pack fell in the Trent, storm shelter has been destroyed with the wind and rain from last could of days, various bits of kit left on Trent, baiting needles, catapult, wychwood buzz bar it's a good job I can laugh :)
Don't forget anybody wanting to donate it's www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson1

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
As I'm currently blanking and on our 4th river the soar does anyone fancy going a £ for lb on my biggest barbel should I ever catch one that is, the more the better

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Fished the soar yesterday finally got off the mark with the smallest barbel of the challenge, a nuce confidence boost.
phil managed 7 barbel to over 10lb, paul had a 5lber plenty if chub csught by all to over 4lb

currently in the nene ive had 3 to 7lb 9oz, phils had another diubkre taking his personal tally to doubles from 24 rivers.

reports come in that pauls just had a monster, waiting for the call back with weight

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Challenge completed on the river nene with doubles going 10lb 14oz and 14lb with myself and guest angler matt taking fish to over 8lb.currently en route to kings weir

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Just left the lea only 1 barbel caught weighing 15lb 2oz captured by paul, myself and dave could only manage bream now en route to the colne

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
After the kennet we split up I went off to the Thames with Justin Beale where we had a barbel dead on 10lb several chub and bream, Paul and Dave went off to do the Loddon and st pats, Loddon was abandoned and the lads concentrated on st pats with Tom herbert taking 2 barbel to 7lb 14oz

Just finished on the royalty fished caster and hemp to get plagued by dace, Paul despite having barbel in his swim couldn't manage 1, Dave winkled 1 out about 8lb but is still fishing.

After 10 days and 12 rivers travelling over 850miles and walking god knows how many miles humping gear about we've called it a day, we was hoping to do the 14 but we are physically and mentally drained.

Time for a proper nights sleep, a decent meal a cold beer and sex with the wife

Jez

B

binka

Well done Jez, a monumental effort by all considering the weather this year... And I'm sure very much appreciated by those who will benefit from the proceeds.

Now, go do the wild thang... :guinness:

gonna

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh dear!

Just had a look on the justgiving page, there have been 43 donations and of that 2 people have donated twice.

A poor show!

dalesman

Reaction score
" What do you call the North" ...... No Yorkshire rivers Swale or Ure in your list or any further North, plenty of doubles if you work for them.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh dear!

Just had a look on the justgiving page, there have been 43 donations and of that 2 people have donated twice.

A poor show!

For an organisation which boasts several hundred members it is a disgrace, I feel sorry for the lads who have put in all the effort and spent what I know will be a considerable sum of their own cash for such poor return. It would have taken very little effort from one of the societies sponsored officers to have brought a major sponsor on side for this and really pushed it via the weeklies but if there is no personal gain to be had many people cant be bothered.

Well done to Jes (et al) for persevering as long as you did.

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

I've also just checked the just giving page, it's a shame all those who during this event last year wrongly accused me of all sorts of mischief and led a hate campaign against me on facebook, some of them even going so far as to threaten me with physical violence, can't be bothered to stick their hands in their pockets. They know who they are and a bigger bunch of self serving, gossiping hypocrites you will be hard pressed to find.

Shame on the lot of you.