The centrepin reel thread......

thecrow

Reaction score
This from the ad tells everything that is needed to know

In mint condition as it has never been used.

Tools are made to be used not hoarded away, even those on here that have a "collection" of them use them for what they were made for.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This from the ad tells everything that is needed to know

In mint condition as it has never been used.

Tools are made to be used not hoarded away, even those on here that have a "collection" of them use them for what they were made for.

I use all my reels Graham but fair play to anyone who just collects them because they like 'em. Imo it's no different than any other collections...dolls, pottery, pictures etc etc.
It's always a bit sad though when you see a collection of reels being sold and it's quite obvious the gent who'd collected and cherished them has popped his clogs :(.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Once again I agree entirely. Are we distantly related ?

Not as I'm aware, but you never can tell.

I was gazing at a Hardy Conquest yesterday. Despite the 3 handles I think I could get along with one of those. What surprised me is that at 4" diameter it looked a lot bigger than my Bewick....which is maybe even smaller than I thought.

The Conquests tend to look a little larger because the back of the reel is a little wider than the spool. The 4" Conquest and the Bewick may have exactly the same sized spool but the Conquest will be a bigger reel.
The first centrepin I owned was a Bewick. It being small almost put me off pins completely. 4" isn't necessarily way too small for me. However, 4" with the pretty deep arbour of the Bewick made it too small for me to cope with.

It didn't come home with me. Not at £339 !

I'd never have bought one had they remained that price. Now they are discontinued, an awful lot of sellers seem to be making hay. I suspect that the two I have are both worth more than I originally paid for them.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yep....out of curiosity I looked around and found Conquests considerably cheaper than my local shop. He'd have done me a deal but it would still have cost a lot more than I found them for elsewhere.

Damn.....I'm tempted now. I don't need one but that's hardly the point.

I must confess I grew into my Bewick. I got mine 2nd hand at a really good price having been fairly lukewarm about them. That changed once I stated using it....my others rarely get a look in now.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yep....out of curiosity I looked around and found Conquests considerably cheaper than my local shop. He'd have done me a deal but it would still have cost a lot more than I found them for elsewhere.

At their lowest, a few shops were knocking them out for £150. Second hand they got as low as £120(ish). An average second hand price is now closer to £175 and I've not seen a new one offered for less than £200 for quite some time.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Sorry to thread drift but Macro Cortosso was the inspiration behind the older fella in the Dolmio adverts I think.
Whensa your centrepin day?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
At their lowest, a few shops were knocking them out for £150. Second hand they got as low as £120(ish). An average second hand price is now closer to £175 and I've not seen a new one offered for less than £200 for quite some time.

At £150 I'd have pulled their arms off whether I needed one or not. I might try making my local shop a ridiculous offer. They're not doing too well atm.

mikench

Reaction score
You are right Ian!:) I have the line running from the bottom and I assume that you thread it onto the rod through the line guard rather than above it?

It has a different feel to the Sheffield !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are right Ian!:) I have the line running from the bottom and I assume that you thread it onto the rod through the line guard rather than above it?

It has a different feel to the Sheffield !

Yes Mike, the line goes through the guard. If you want to you can remove the guard but be very careful not to damage any screw heads etc so make sure you use the correct size of driver if you do;).

mikench

Reaction score
I will leave it on I think until I get used to the reel! It is a thing of beauty imo:)

That's it now no more! I had to have one to compliment the rod and having seen Binka's , I decided to look for one! It's brand new so should hold its value but I like it and that is all that matters!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a couple of old reels...a Rapidex on the left and a Trudex on the right.....

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
You will succumb eventually and anyone who can devote their career to HMRC ( IR as was) deserves some therapeutic retail piscatorial therapy;) Just my opinion you understand!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Browning Revolver was made by GM for Browning and was anodised in Brownings colour. I only ever got to see the reels in pictures for some time and wasn't over keen on the colour but when I had a look at Alan Roes at one of his casting displays I very much liked it...so it's his fault that I finished up getting one lol.
The black reel is one which I always think of when I think of a centrepin reel...it's the Allcock Match Aerial, i'm very fond of my match aerials :).

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
You will succumb eventually and anyone who can devote their career to HMRC ( IR as was) deserves some therapeutic retail piscatorial therapy;) Just my opinion you understand!:rolleyes:

Buqqer off ! IR that was indeed. HMRC is an amalgam of God's Chosen ie HM Customs & Excise and the Dark Side ie the Revenue.

I was a proud Cussie and always will be.