The Fly Fishers Club mascot

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
A chance encounter with an elderly gentleman produced several good antique game fishing items for TT. Of special interest is this cast chrome plated leaping fish on wooden plinth or base 110mm x 110 mm. Standing only 3” tall with green baize to underside it appears to be a desk paperweight. The circular base below the fish representing a rippled surface is impressed Fly Fishers Club.

This deserved further investigation and so pics were sent to our top sleuth CEO Richard Hewitt who took on the challenge. A few days later the reply below came from John Knott, long time tackle friend and Hon. Curator and Archivist of the Fly Fishers Club.

He writes “Thank you for your email and I can confirm that the item you mention is from the 1930’s and was intended as a car mascot i.e. fixed to the bonnet of your car. Now illegal, of course.

It was based on a painting by John Rennie, a civil engineer who was our President 1915 – 1917 and wrote ‘I Have Been Fishing’ published in 1949’. Quite a man. There are a couple of examples in the Club, one is on an ink stand presented to a later President and made of wood from our bombed-out premises in Swallow Street but that is another story. Possibly the best known example we have is a solid silver cigar lighter over the fireplace in the main club room. Rennie’s original watercolour of the salmon is on display in the Club and was used for many years for the cover of the Club’s Journal.

I recall that the Club sold these mascots to Members and examples turn up now and again, some mounted on a wooden base as this is, but they could certainly be described as very scarce. I hope this helps.

Please give my regards to JS and Ali; I remember them so well, best wishes John”

The warm part of this tackle collecting business or hobby is that there are many people who are only too happy to offer advice and information to simply advance our knowledge.

The Fly fishers Club mascot

The Fly fishers Club mascot

The Fly Fishers Club established 1884 in London is the most prestigious fly fishing club in the world. Notable past members include Fredrick Halford, R B Marston, Edward Grey, 1st Viscount Grey of Fallodon, Skues, Falkus, Richard Walker and many more angling dignitaries, including our very own Richard H and the current patron being King Charles III.

The Fly fishers Club

The Fly fishers Club

The mascot will sit in the video room for while then find a new home on a deserving desk or as part of a tackle display. Perhaps even leaping back to a FFC member, who can tell?

The post The Fly Fishers Club mascot appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...