The highs of sea angling...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Many years ago I got to know a guy at our local Kung Fu club. My Stepson Toby wanted to do martial arts and I started to take him to a local club. After a short while I fancied giving it a go myself. I got to know the main instructors quite well and trained with them regularly over a period of years.

One of the other people who trained there regularly seemed to be a nice guy. He would get called away frequently during the training session, this was in the days before mobile phones, pagers were just starting to make an appearance and he would be paged almost every session, he would immediately have to shoot off. When I mentioned this to him, he told me he had a job working for a burglar/fire alarm company that called him out to emergencies at local schools.

Looking back I can’t believe how naive I was. Even the new Range Rover, top of the range super bike and speed boat never clued me up

My stepson, who I brought up from the age of four, was standing near him when he was chatting with his girlfriend. One of the guys asked him what language he was speaking and he said Antwerpse, which he said was a dialect of Flemish and was like a Glaswegian speaking English to any outsiders who tried to listen in. He said when he was young he attended an international school in Antwerp, where he said he picked it up. I’m not sure what he said to his girlfriend, but Toby my stepson, who was about nine at the time, and had spent his first four years growing up in Antwerp said; “ Ik verstand het alls.” (I understand everything.) He and his girlfriend both went bright red, lol.

Did I say I was naive? He said he had a 36 ft boat moored in the Medway estuary, and asked me if I fancied going out bass fishing with him and some of his mates, as a freebie.

Luckily for me, I was busy on that weekend, and it transpired that what he was doing; was going out into the North Sea with people who didn’t have a clue what he was up to, then meeting up with another boat from Holland on the pretext of getting some spare bait from his mate, then returning with a load of what was presumably ecstasy tablets, or similar.

On the particular date he asked me, there was an army of customs and police officers waiting on the dock as they returned, and who raided the boat as it docked.

Apparently they didn’t make their credentials clear to the anglers and a battle royal ensued on the dock, plod and customs didn’t get everything their way and eventually those that were genuinely duped by the guy were eventually released, but for me it was a very lucky escape.