The Longest Closed Season Ever.

D

Davy North

The coarse fishing closed season lasts 93 days, but with the three weeks or so we lost at the end of last season my body clock is telling me that this should be up. I'm starting to get terrible withdrawl symptoms.

During this recent good weather I've taken to sitting out in the garden, not on a deck chair, but my fishing chair. Usually twiddling with a reel, or caressing float, or plug. My wife looking on and shaking her head in disbelief.
My video's of "Wet Nets" and my only pre-recorded fishing video "Gord Burton; Pike the natural way" have almost been played to destruction.

As a rule I don't fish much in the traditional closed season. Not never but not often. I can normally console myself with walking the river banks planning for next season, but with the F&M restrictions I can't do that either.

What makes it worse is my mates at work who fish commercials are ribbing me with their stories of bagging up. I don't fish commercials, it's not a snobby thing I just don't normally like the idea, but now the flesh is weak, perhaps I need spiritual guidance from the Rev Bloor.

But on the serious side, when will the closed season end? Foot & Mouth may not make the news like it did, and in many peoples view is all over. However I still havn't seen any relaxing of the restriction around here, footpaths re-openning, and the local clubs stillwaters that would normaly be open this time of year are still closed.

Thank goodness for www.fishingmagic.com

A

Allan Marshall

I know the feeling, Iv'e emptied my ruck bag cleaned all there is to clean watched the videos untill my wife is sick of them. I have now taken to going into the feild behind our house to practice the wallis cast. if I don't get on the river bank soon I can see myself polishing fish hooks.

A

Alan Roe

Sadly my trout close season now looks to run into next year as the most recent spate of F&M cases has hammered the areas in which some of my best fishing is located...
I'm going to be honest I am truly broken hearted ...

A

Allan Marshall

Cheer up Alan,
things can't get much worse, I understand F&M doesn't like warm weather. things should soon start to improve, like me just try to look ahead.
Although even the thought of that is enough to bring on depresion.LOL. The thing I miss most is being not able to walk the river banks. in the early morning. (I can feel a tear)

J

john conway

Living within 10 miles of Settle the latest F&M outbreak I’m now concerned about the Lancaster Canal, what was to be my closed season fishing venue. Most of the canal was closed but this last week or so has seen a few stretches opened up around Lancaster and just south of Carnforth. Last Friday I had a 12 hr session through the night and as well as the usual small stuff, I landed a nice 4lb bream and a 2lb eel. I’ve walked the canal and spotted one or two hot spots and where I can park, I’ve sussed out the best time to avoid the general pedestrian traffic i.e. 04:00hrs to 10:00hrs. However, I’ve just been on the British Waterways web site and it now looks like they’ve closed it all down again around Lancaster and Carnforth.
The only towpaths open on Lancaster listed on the BW web site are:-
Ashton Basin to Bridge 19 Quakers Bridge:
Bridge 25 Wilson’s to Bridge 26 Salwick:
Bridge 36 Moons Bridge to Bridge 39 Hepgreave Bridge:

J

john conway

Confusing, just rang our local British Waterways on 01524 751888 and was told that all the canal form Lancaster to Carnforth was open as form 09:00hrs this morning. May be they where just updating their web page when I looked at it?