The next threat to our rivers

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
And they have cleared the building of homes in spite of having no water or sewage capacity in place to cope with them, still we could use the inflatable migrants to build new sewage plants...

peterjg

Reaction score
This is the final straw - yet more proof that this government care nothing for the environment!!!!!!!

steve2

Reaction score
Do we anglers really care about the environment. This post gets 5 answers, what line, what rods, even what are you eating tonight gets 100's.

steve2

Reaction score
Join forces with other groups and don't sit on the ourside looking in. Even if those other groups are paddle boarder and swimmers who will also use these polluted watrrways.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Do we anglers really care about the environment. This post gets 5 answers, what line, what rods, even what are you eating tonight gets 100's.
Give it time for a few members to read before making statements like that. We are not on this forum 24/7......not quite anyway! :unsure: ;)

The Sogster

Reaction score
I care.

I remember when the Don in Sheffield was orange and steam rose from sections of it every day.
Things have moved on since the demise of the steel works and I've had fish that I wouldn't have dreamed possible as a child.
I have no wish to return to those days when the rivers were just a conveyance for anyone's discharged rubbish.

Let's hope the idiots in charge of the asylum block this, but I'm afraid that money will out as always.

Below is a link to the only image I can find of where I was born, the steelworks is now Meadowhall

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The RSPB should have stuck to their guns. This government are liars.

Apparently there are better ways to protect our rivers and streams, er like allowing the water companies to dump untreated human sewage into them. Now builders can do the same as many don’t know the difference between a foul sewer and a surface water one.

nottskev

Reaction score

If you'd been around more this year, you'd have probably noticed these threads and posts: EA 19, Ofwat 99, Pollution 34; Feargal Sharkey 5 and 13.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Join forces with other groups and don't sit on the ourside looking in. Even if those other groups are paddle boarder and swimmers who will also use these polluted watrrways.
I tried a similar thing , I garnered quotes from this forum and from a paddling forum , and sent a message to my MP Eddie Hughes , I tried to imply to Eddy that he was answering a wider audience as I would share his reply to a number of forums (theoretical membership 1,000s)

I frankly got a stock reply and I suspect my grand idea of uniting various fora , while good , wasnt within my skill range or commitment level

Some of the wild swimming and surfing associations have been super vocal in this area , but they are only vocal - for me , because I am a Guardian reader and this is a hot topic in the Guardian

It seems that politics these days , or at least protests is about getting enough publicity to make your MP fear they are losing votes , thats why the Tories are pushing knee jerk policies (Forget the Red wall now they are fighting to retain the Home Counties Blue Rinse vote (That Sunak has lovely well groomed hair)

As an armchair warrior I wish I could help @steve2 any suggestions ?

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Every time I think my vote is going to Labour they put up Emily Thornberry and I change my mind. Then Sunak comes up with this assault on the environment. As a matter of conscience I have nowhere to go other than the Greens - and I never thought I'd say that.

Hope that's not too political a comment - it was intended as an expression of disgust at the policy being discussed.

The bad one

Reaction score
Steve 2 you are clearly poorly informed, angling has been working with other "bodies" for over 20 years that I know of, as I've sat in on some of those meetings in years gone by. SAA jointly wrote a policy document with WWF, RSPB, River Trusts on the state of our rivers 15 years ago that went to every MP of the day.
Angling worked with the then Labour Sports Minister Kate Hoey which brought about the amalgamated body for angling, minus the Trout and Salmon Association the Angling Trust.
AT has it faults, but it does work behind the scenes lobbying, campaigning in the halls of power to change, stop, amend stuff that is detrimental to angling.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that our angling clubs and the trust aren't being asked to speak about the rivers issues by the countries media organisations because the vast majority are anti angling and the only real voices we have is Feargal Sharkey and Paul Whitehouse, why, because they are well known in the entertainment world, the government and water companies are getting away with murder because the vast majority of people in the UK are filthy bastards themselves and throw rubbish all along the banks of our waterways, within our sport a large amount of anglers have voted with their feet and don't fish rivers, just look at hdygo, the BBC Breakfast as I speak is highlighting the sewage issues again but when I speak to dog walkers, paddle boarders etc most are totally oblivious to it, believing that it isn't possible, or shouldn't be happening in 2023, they are right but our representatives have been fighting these issues for at least 25 years....

steve2

Reaction score
Steve 2 you are clearly poorly informed, angling has been working with other "bodies" for over 20 years that I know of, as I've sat in on some of those meetings in years gone by. SAA jointly wrote a policy document with WWF, RSPB, River Trusts on the state of our rivers 15 years ago that went to every MP of the day.
Angling worked with the then Labour Sports Minister Kate Hoey which brought about the amalgamated body for angling, minus the Trout and Salmon Association the Angling Trust.
AT has it faults, but it does work behind the scenes lobbying, campaigning in the halls of power to change, stop, amend stuff that is detrimental to angling.
I may be poorly informed but surely that is the problem no one knows about it. From what I have seen none of these meeting have brought about changes and we are still talking about the same problems as when I was a member of the ACA 50 years ago.