The Shropshire Union Canal - Ellesmere Port to Chester.

Keith Williams

Reaction score
Anglers who in the Ellesmere Port and Chester area and fish the "Shroppy" are advised as to the new changes of lease and control from the Canal & Rivers Trust to the Port Sunlight Angling Club.
The length starts at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum and continues to the A540 Mollington Bridge and sections at Christleton
The season ticket which is excellent value costs £15 for all adults and lasts 12 months from time of purchase online. Children apply online too and are free of charge.
Day tickets are not available.
The Canal card also gives holders a significant length to fish on a prolific stretch of the River Weaver at Sutton bridge.
See the information and maps available with the link here -

Link https://www.psac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Canal-Card-Details.pdf

nottskev

Reaction score
That was a memory-jogger. I fished everywhere between Mollington Bridge and the big terminal basin at Ellesmere Port during my two spells living in Chester. That Weaver stretch was something I often looked down at from the M56, but at that time nobody fished that far down the river much past Saltersford. It's a negligible price for miles of fishing, and what excellent maps and directions - I've got maps here for way more expensive clubs that are indecipherable. One club's map showed a backwater on the river which I spent an afternoon trying to locate. I found out it had been filled in twenty years earlier. I wonder if Jon Atkinson has this ticket as he's not too far away?

Keith Williams

Reaction score
That was a memory-jogger. I fished everywhere between Mollington Bridge and the big terminal basin at Ellesmere Port during my two spells living in Chester. That Weaver stretch was something I often looked down at from the M56, but at that time nobody fished that far down the river much past Saltersford. It's a negligible price for miles of fishing, and what excellent maps and directions - I've got maps here for way more expensive clubs that are indecipherable. One club's map showed a backwater on the river which I spent an afternoon trying to locate. I found out it had been filled in twenty years earlier. I wonder if Jon Atkinson has this ticket as he's not too far away?
Jon's a club member !

Keith Williams

Reaction score
Is that stretch of the weaver near Warrington anglers stretch ?
If you click on the link and look at the Weaver Map you will note its location on the right bank immediately upstream of Sutton Weaver Road bridge!