The Wizard That Was Wallis

@Clive

Reaction score
fwk wallis fishing.jpg

FWK Wallis is one angling’s legendary characters. He will be forever associated with barbel of which he was the joint record holder, and of course the Wallis Cast. What is not as well known is that he was an angler of enormous ability and capable of equally enormous generosity.

Frederick William Knowles Wallis was born in Long Eaton, Derbyshire in 1862 to a family engaged in the making of lace. In his early married life he lived in Elm Avenue, Long Eaton along with his wife Anna Lizzy and three children Christabel Ann, Noel Crane and Raymond Leslie. He also shared his house with his wife’s father, sister and her children. He was a member of the Wellington City AA and it was this angling club’s annual casting competition where he first came to fame. Wallis won the trophy three times between 1897&8 and 1899 & 1900 entitling him to own the trophy outright. He generously represented the trophy to the club only to win it a further six consecutive times!

fwk wallis cup.jpg

In 1904 he won the London Casting Club’s freestyle event casting a 1.5 dram weight 225 feet measured as the aggregate of his best three of five casts. This in modern terms is equivalent to casting 25 metres with a 2.6 gram weight. In those days Wallis is said to have used a wood and brass Zephyr reel made by his friend and famous tackle manufacturer David Slater.

In 1931 Wallis wrote a chapter in the book Fine Angling For Coarse Fish. This was a rare excursion into print as he did not write for any journal or write his own book. In the chapter he describes how the cast as an improvement on established methods of casting first popularised by the Nottingham angler William Bailey and the champion prize fighter Bendigo around 80 years previously. These early sportsmen managed casts of around 50 to 60 feet this being limited by the clumsy rods and reels of the period. The main difference in style however being that Wallis held the weight in his left hand prior to making the cast whereas Bailey and others allowed the end tackle to dangle freely from the rod.

Using the method described by Wallis he claimed that competent anglers should be able to cast light float tackle up to forty yards. It must be mentioned however that in 1931 roach anglers used goose quill floats that carried three or more swan shot. The main difference between his record casts of 27 yards and the much longer ones described 25 years later was down to the improvements in reels. By 1900 reels could be made from lighter and more durable materials including cast alloys and a plastic like product called ebonite. These improvements allowed reels to be made with a greater diameter and turned much more freely. Some even had brakes to prevent over runs when casting. An associate of Wallis by the name of Henry Coxon created the Aerial reel that became very popular with many anglers.

walliscast.jpg

Wallis was involved in angling competitions; fishing and casting as a participant, judge and organiser. He donated prizes, cups, medals and prizes to be presented to the winners of a casting competition in August 1906. He also paid for most of the 50 competitors of a club angling competition to be rigged out with up to date tackle supplied by David Slater.

He was a Justice of the Peace and a wealthy man. He owned his own stretch of the Trent on the north bank below Thrumpton Weir. He also took fishing holidays on the Hampshire Avon where in 1909 he and his two friends took 1300 fish in four days. The best 6 roach, all over 2 lb were sent to Cooper's to be mounted in a glass case. In the same holiday he also accounted for perch of 2 lb. In 1905 Wallis caught a 33 lb 8 oz pike from Clumber Lake in Nottinghamshire and regularly took large catches of roach, chub and barbel from the Trent including a 7 lb 1 oz chub from that river. His preferred baits were stewed wheat and maggots for roach whilst for barbel he used greaves and worms. In September 1937 whilst fishing the Royalty swim on the Hampshire Avon Wallis equalled the barbel record with a fish of 14 lb 6 oz.

F.W.K. Wallis died in 1941 but his contribution to angling remains. The Allcocks Wizard rod based on his design is with Richard Walker’s Mk. IV Carp and Avon rods remains the iconic built cane coarse fishing rods still highly rated today. The cast that he referred to as The Modern Float Cast From The Reel. Nottingham Style is now universally referred to as The Wallis Cast and used by anglers today.

So, how do you do the Modern Float Cast? According to the man himself the rod is firmly held in the right hand by the first three fingers and thumb leaving the little finger to control the reel. The end tackle is held by the fingers of the left hand, the thumb being looped over the line from the reel. The rod is brought forward and nearly horizontal, parallel with the left shoulder, the little finger of the rod hand holds the reel in check. The rod is now brought forward with a firm but easy sweep, and at the same time the line is pulled off the reel backwards to the full extent of the left arm. The momentum propels the float forward, the little finger of the right hand has released the drum of the reel and at the right moment the line running over the thumb of the left hand is brought forward. As the float alights on the water down goes the little finger to brake the reel.

Wallis then describes what he calls the Underhand Cast which differs in that the rod is held down in front of the angler, nearly touching the water and the casting stroke is purely vertical. All other elements are the same. This is how most modern anglers would describe the Wallis Cast.

In the same chapter Wallis describes the ideal rod being three sections of eleven feet to eleven and a half feet in length. It should have a whole cane butt built into a handle of beech or other solid wood. The middle and top sections are made from built cane. The guides are upright with the tip and butt guides being agate. The rod should weigh around 12 ounces. This Wizard specification formed the template for Avon type rods made by many makers over thirty years. It was favoured by famous anglers including Peter Wheat and Richard Walker who used his Wizard rod to make his Mk. I carp rod by sawing a section off the top section.

The reel should be three and a half to four inches diameter, made from light aluminium and be very free running with no line guard. It should be three and a half to four inches diameter, made from light aluminium and be very free running with no line guard. Wallis did not see the need for a friction brake. But then he didn't need one.

fwk-wallis.jpg

If you are struggling with the Wallis Cast look up Wallis Casting Made Easy on youtube. It breaks down the actions allowing you to master the whole cast within an hour.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was a lot younger I was given a copy of the book ‘Fine Angling for Coarse Fish’ by my father with the chapter written by FWK. Wallis that Clive mentioned above; called ‘The Modern Float Cast From The Reel. Nottingham Style’ for anyone who likes reading about the history of our sport/hobby and is looking for this book; the book is one of the books in the Lonsdale Library series of books Vol IV; and has chapters written by several other well known anglers of the day too; including Eric Parker and Edward Ensom (The Faddist) and several others.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
When you read about angling of that period it is amazing as to how many worms they used Wallis once said that on average he used 2,000 worms for every barbel caught. Other barbel baits included greaves which is rendered fat and bullock's pith, the spinal cord that is extracted from the back bone of a bullock. Butchers must have done quite well out of anglers.

Stewed wheat was the usual summer bait for roach on the Trent. They called it creeled wheat. I remember back in the 1960's buying a small tin of stewed wheat from the tackle shop. It seems to have gone out of fashion these days.

Double All England National Champion J. H. R. (Jim) Bazley favoured wasp grubs and speaks of roving fishing matches. Anglers would meet up at the village hall or similar place to register. At the stroke of 12 o'clock they set off to the river returing with their catches to be weighed before the last stroke of 6 o'clock. These casual roving matches declined after 1900 as anglers became too numerous.

The book certainly gives an insight into angling before WW2.

Keith M

Reaction score
When you read about angling of that period it is amazing as to how many worms they used Wallis once said that on average he used 2,000 worms for every barbel caught. Other barbel baits included greaves which is rendered fat and bullock's pith, the spinal cord that is extracted from the back bone of a bullock. Butchers must have done quite well out of anglers.

Stewed wheat was the usual summer bait for roach on the Trent. They called it creeled wheat. I remember back in the 1960's buying a small tin of stewed wheat from the tackle shop. It seems to have gone out of fashion these days.

Double All England National Champion J. H. R. (Jim) Bazley favoured wasp grubs and speaks of roving fishing matches. Anglers would meet up at the village hall or similar place to register. At the stroke of 12 o'clock they set off to the river returing with their catches to be weighed before the last stroke of 6 o'clock. These casual roving matches declined after 1900 as anglers became too numerous.

The book certainly gives an insight into angling before WW2.
I remember once reading in an old Angling book that was written by some high brow chap in a chapter about Barbel fishing that went something like “Get your man to lay around a thousand lobworms in clay balls the night before you start to fish .......” how things have changed :)

Back in around the late 70s (and before) one of my clubs used to hold regular roving fishing matches where the competitors could rove freely around the lake and could up and move from swim to swim as much as they liked; then on the final whistle they would all meet at the bridge with their catches placed into waterproof canvas buckets ready to be weighed at the bridge ; and they would only weigh fish of over certain lengths depending on the species.
So even if you had 10lb of Roach and Rudd but none of them were over 7inches in length then you couldn’t weigh any of them; only fish over their specified lengths could be weighed. Which in the depths of winter could be very deflating.

I still have my ‘Thames Area Fish ruler/scale’ in the back of a drawer; from those days; although I lost my old canvas fish carrying buckets a long time ago.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
There was a company in Nottingham called Wells who could supply lobworms to order by the thousand. There is a pasage in a book called 'Upper Thames: From Richmond to Oxford' that recommends six to ten thousand lobworms for three days Thames barbel fishing. The author also advises the angler to choose a civil and clean fisherman to handle the boat, not one redolent on beer and tobacco.

@Clive

Reaction score
Here is an advert for the rod that he designed

Wallis Wizard advert.jpg

Notice that the rod is advertised as being stained green. The early rods made in the 1930's were green, not natural cane coloured. This was due to a fashion of the period. It was thought that dark coloured rods would not scare fish. The rod also had a much shorter handle than is the case today. The reel would be mounted quite low with the rod hand holding the rod above the reel. Many of the rods have subsequently been adapted or altered to give a longer handle.

nottskev

Reaction score
Here is an advert for the rod that he designed

View attachment 26808

The rod also had a much shorter handle than is the case today. The reel would be mounted quite low with the rod hand holding the rod above the reel. Many of the rods have subsequently been adapted or altered to give a longer handle.
He was right about that. Many modern rods waste reach and action by having long handles we don't need. What's the point of the chunk sticking out past our elbows? Leverage for beach casting? I've shortened a fair few, either by chopping a bit off the end or taking corks off the front. The top 13' float rod when I were a lad had a 24" handle! A waste of good fibreglass and a hazard to passers by.

@Clive

Reaction score
On my fibreglass rods I find that the long handles help balance the rod. Same with a Pezon et Michel cane 2lb tc spnning rod made in 1944. But as you say, on modern carbon rods it often serves no purpose.

Going back to the old rods; the anglers back then held the rods above their centrepin reels. Sometimes the rod was held near to the top of the handle and the reel was mounted near to the bottom of the handle and worked by the other hand. That allows the reel to counter balance the weight of the rod. Today many anglers including myself tend to hold the rod with their hand around the centrepin reel rather than above it. And of course when fixed spool reels came into vogue that is how they were held too. On a short handled rod this leads to it being top heavy.

The Wizard rod I have had the handle extended from 16" to 20" by extending it up the butt section during the restoration in 2006. Some others have had an extension screwed into the socket where the butt button is located.