Thoughts on groundbaits for river Roach fishing.

Andydj

Reaction score
Thanks Clive. I wonder if horlicks would work in a similar way? I know that's an old dodge for getting loosefed maggots to stick together to increase distance ( stickies).

@Clive

Reaction score
Thanks Clive. I wonder if horlicks would work in a similar way? I know that's an old dodge for getting loosefed maggots to stick together to increase distance ( stickies).
Yes. Any product that is made from corn flour or potato starch including custard powder, cheap coa-coa and Horlicks will release starch when mixed with hot water. You can also release starch from maize and hemp when you simmer it. That is what the grey slime is. These were made with cheap coa-coa powder.

4yr7zjs.jpg

Andydj

Reaction score
Yes. Any product that is made from corn flour or potato starch including custard powder, cheap coa-coa and Horlicks will release starch when mixed with hot water. You can also release starch from maize and hemp when you simmer it. That is what the grey slime is. These were made with cheap coa-coa powder.

4yr7zjs.jpg
Interesting. Cocoa is also no doubt an attractor in its own right which is another plus. Thanks Clive.

@Clive

Reaction score
Interesting. Cocoa is also no doubt an attractor in its own right which is another plus. Thanks Clive.
So is Horlicks, that has malt added. They are both basically corn flour with flavourings. Custard powder is flavoured with vanilla, another roach attractant.The Belgians and northern French anglers are really keen on coa-coa flavouring in their groundbait.

What they all have in common however is maize and that actually might be the key.

Andydj

Reaction score
Of course maize is a great bait in it's own right for Carp, in particular fermented maize.
It's a fascinating subject. No doubt about it. Thanks for you input Clive