TOO MUCH water!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Well.....I blanked! After weeks of quite miserable weather and much rain I spotted a short weather window. So I was down the river for a few hours, first job to see just how high the river was....

I had already checked my RiverApp and the flow was still over 450 m3/s (that 450 tonne!). Rather a lot but it was just possible one swim would hold a fish.

IMG_20231110_142912.jpg

There is 8' depth under my rod tip, but today even the back eddy needed a 3 ounce weight. So, I had a pleasant few hours out of a cold wind and catching some sun. Just one short, heavy shower but a big tree gave me some shelter.

I have caught many barbel, chub and bream here, sometimes in similar conditions. But not this day! :(

@Clive

Reaction score
The Vienne is currently running around 400cmps after peaking a few days ago at over 700cmps It surpassed the 2018 flood level and almost reached the 2007 record. Even the stately Charente has been over the banks. It will be at least two weeks beforethey are fishable given the current (sorry) forecast.

I'll be heading to the lakes in the meantime.

Philip

Reaction score
Me too ...I think its about location more than ever. However get the right spot and you can really bag up.

I think it was Seth who once described something he saw on the Ribble (might have been another river) where he was on a bridge and noticed the fish already moving to the margins in preparation for floodwater that was forcast to come down later ...like the fish instinctly knew it was coming.

If Seth sees this he can probably explain it in more detail...it was a really interesting observation.

@Clive

Reaction score
I thought that the boat channels leading from the flooded main river to closed locks would be a safe haven for fish. I've had two sessions for four small fish so obviously not. Need to look elsewhere.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't mind the odd session on a flooded river. It's very limiting, and finesse goes out of the widow, as it's usually a matter of fishing in the edge on strong gear and big baits for big fish. But I think it's got its own pleasures, sitting safely on top of the flood bank as your river, looking like the Zambesi, streams past, boiling and swirling, carrying trees, dead cows etc. Just being by the river in extreme conditions is a bit like being by the sea in a gale or watching an electrical storm. It helps if your river has plenty of barbel, as these are a good bet for the conditions. And there are some rivers where I just wouldn't bother as your chances are so slim.

seth49

Reaction score
Me too ...I think its about location more than ever. However get the right spot and you can really bag up.

I think it was Seth who once described something he saw on the Ribble (might have been another river) where he was on a bridge and noticed the fish already moving to the margins in preparation for floodwater that was forcast to come down later ...like the fish instinctly knew it was coming.

If Seth sees this he can probably explain it in more detail...it was a really interesting observation.
Yes it was when I worked for the water board, we were crossing mitton bridge with a new water pipe, as we drove to the job after lunch, we crossed over Edisford bridge at Clitheroe and noticed the ribble had risen a good six foot , must have been a storm at the top end of the river, because it had been a hot sunny day in Clitheroe, anyway when we got to mitton some two miles or downstream the river was still low, and when I went to look all the fish where in the margins so they knew it was on the way.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Popped into lovely Cajarc to get veggies at the Saturday market, of course we took a walk along the river above the barrage.

Normally it's like a lake, minimal flow most of the year. Today both the hydro-electric plant and the barrage itself must have been wide open.

There were actually two guys fishing just above a slipway, a nice eddy that may have held some fish.....

1699716272246.jpg

But the rest of the "lake" was on the move....

IMG_20231111_145111.jpg

I did not hang around to watch the fishing as I did not fancy their chances. Best bet would be a silure, one guy had a biggish float on and it was obviously above a bottom fished bait. There are some big silure here!

If this river does not settle soon I will have to resort to my favourite silure tactics, a bait of multiple "ripe" prawns on a big hook. Fished in a likely hole between tree roots and under the rod tip I have had a couple of modest silure in the past. I really, really do not want the giants!

IMG_20180710_102030452.jpg

Aknib

Reaction score
Silver bullet time...

Stillwater.

Got to admit though there's a fascinating challenge to tackling flooded rivers and catching fish where you'd normally walk, I honestly think floodwater fishing is relatively easy as you know where the fish will be as opposed to their seemingly unfathomable roaming at normal levels.

Takes me back to the mid-80's and my teens when my dad's friend picked me up for a session on an impossible upper Witham, we called in at Newark on the way home and I was treated to a lesson in how to catch Chub on bread flake under the rod tip in what was normally the hardcore bed of a lorry park!

The enterprising angler was perched on a coupe of planks of wood straddled by two discarded tyres.

Needs must I guess, in both the fish and the angler's respects.

John Aston

Reaction score
Ah the upper Witham . Its name triggers very happy memories of being in my early 20s , having just moved to Lincoln for what were then called Articles . Armed with my first car and an OS map I explored miles of the upper Witham and had wonderful sport with chub on summer evenings, never seeing a soul . The drive home from Bassingham or Norton Disney was special too - in the twilight you'd see the splendour of Lincoln cathedral, lit up and soaring above the city . Anybody got a time machine I can borrow?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Sally and I were out again today, trying to get walk in between showers. Our usual walk follows the Lot so at least I can keep a check on my second Love whilst keeping company with my first! Mind you, I think Sally gets a bit jealous sometimes as often I only have eyes and thoughts for the river! :unsure:

Even more water flowing today, between 600 and 700 m3/sec. Much browner but at least not over the banks......

PANO_20231113_152409 (1).jpg

At least we enjoyed the scenery, the walk never happened as the rain came on again! :rolleyes:

1699888659910.jpg

Despite the excessive rain we still love this place. On the way home we stopped to shop for wine, the local wines are very good. 🍷