Trent at Winthorpe

Old fisher

Reaction score
What's the Trent at Winthorpe like to fish? Does the water rise and fall very much? I am hoping to get some time in along that stretch and would like some idea as I've not fished any rivers before. Is the flow very strong? Any help would be very much appreciated

flightliner

Reaction score
Two associations control the Trent at Winthorpe, Worksop have two and Ashfield AA have one thats in the middle of the two Worksop waters.
Both require membership and Worksop AA dont allow night fishing.
The Worksop book is pretty reasonably priced, the Ashfield club is pretty expensive and has a long long waiting list of prospective members.
If you only plan to fish Winthorpe on the odd occasion it may be better for you to approach the river from the A1 pits side of the river where I understand
You can drive all the way down to Winthorpe (a very long reach of river)
on a day ticket.
Ps, it only rises and falls when flooding.
The tidal section is somemile and a half downstream at Cromwell weir!
Hope this helps.

john step

Reaction score
If you mean The Rack at Winthorpe which is the stretch upstream of Worksop Waters it is a limited book annually. Closed until May rejoining I think.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Two associations control the Trent at Winthorpe, Worksop have two and Ashfield AA have one thats in the middle of the two Worksop waters.
Both require membership and Worksop AA dont allow night fishing.
The Worksop book is pretty reasonably priced, the Ashfield club is pretty expensive and has a long long waiting list of prospective members.
If you only plan to fish Winthorpe on the odd occasion it may be better for you to approach the river from the A1 pits side of the river where I understand
You can drive all the way down to Winthorpe (a very long reach of river)
on a day ticket.
Ps, it only rises and falls when flooding.
The tidal section is somemile and a half downstream at Cromwell weir!
Hope this helps.
Thank you flightliner for the information. I have membership of Ashfield AC. but I have not fished the Trent or lake at Winthorpe. In fact I have never fished a river of any kind. You have given me all the information I need. Tight lines

john step

Reaction score
Sorry but you have the Ashfield AC book and never fished there. Exclamation! !
The lake has a reputation for big fish. Stocked when the Trent is in flood.
Not the easiest time of year to start on the river. Why not have a walk at the weekend and watch what others do. It will be a lot better fishing come the next river season.

You mentioned flow. There is a goodly flow here. Its a learning curve.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi I don't get out too much now, (age & health) but hoping things will get better, I've been fishing Welbeck and Shirebrook. I used to live in Kent where I just fished lakes. When I was more active I sea fished as well. I managed to get membership of Ashfield AC but have not been out on the river A couple of my Grandsons have started fishing so I hope to get out with them now.