Trip planning: Wye canoe trip and fishing

tom_moran

Reaction score
So it's a bit premature but in early September my brother and I are going to do a 3 day canoe trip down the wye. I'd like to take a rod along with me for a spot of fishing. Has any got a map 9r advice on which clubs to contact for a license to fish?

Plan is to take a telescopic rod for a tiddler bashing and a barbel rod to set up in the evenings

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
So it's a bit premature but in early September my brother and I are going to do a 3 day canoe trip down the wye. I'd like to take a rod along with me for a spot of fishing. Has any got a map 9r advice on which clubs to contact for a license to fish?

Plan is to take a telescopic rod for a tiddler bashing and a barbel rod to set up in the evenings

I believe that you may need to contact the Wye & Usk foundation group as there's gonna be a lot of sections that are gonna be strictly privatised.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hello Tom. If you contact WUF, all you will probably get is information on the beats where they make a profit on ticket sales. WUF are not a popular option with the locals.
You have from Hay bridge downstream to canoe. Above Hay bridge there is no PRN, though you can get permission to fish both from the bank and from the canoe. You'll need a day ticket from the Warren ( from Hay PO) and another for Llanthomas (from me). Further downstream, one from the Red Lion in Brewardine. Mike in the Red Lion will update you on the beats downstream of him and when you get to Hereford, Woodys Tackle shop (near shell service station on A438 Brecon road) is the best source of info and tickets for that area.

I imagine Graham will be along shortly to educate us on the lower reaches...

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hello Tom. If you contact WUF, all you will probably get is information on the beats where they make a profit on ticket sales. WUF are not a popular option with the locals.
You have from Hay bridge downstream to canoe. Above Hay bridge there is no PRN, though you can get permission to fish both from the bank and from the canoe. You'll need a day ticket from the Warren ( from Hay PO) and another for Llanthomas (from me). Further downstream, one from the Red Lion in Brewardine. Mike in the Red Lion will update you on the beats downstream of him and when you get to Hereford, Woodys Tackle shop (near shell service station on A438 Brecon road) is the best source of info and tickets for that area.

I imagine Graham will be along shortly to educate us on the lower reaches...

Hi there Geoff,

In all fairness you state that the Wye and Usk foundation is not a good source to contact but they pretty much operate the majority of the river and although may not necessarily help with on the bank ticket sales etc they at least tell where you can and can't fish, they've been rather helpful when I've contacted them in the past ,

You mention a couple or three beats to fish IE to collect money from yerself and red lion etc and also contact woodies tackle but again this is probably a fair bit down stream and the fella is gonna spend three days traveling down the whole length I believe,

Are you stating that one can only fish the mid to lower beats as I'm sure that in the past some of the upper reaches have been fisherable aswell, I'd be interested and curious to know meself on any other info as regards to fishing further up stream :D

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps, the stretch were thinking of canoeing down is ross on wye down to Monmouth, however it's not set in stone yet.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well Tom.
That'll take you about a day.

Various clubs hold the fishing rights.

Ross AC from Ross down a field then mainly Ross again then W and Usk and Monmouth on the r/hand bank. Plus a bit of Newport plus a couple of syndicate bits.

Of course, the local baliffs tend to shoot poachers and ask questions later! Good luck with that.

I am guessing Geoff says about W and U is very true in that local clubs have had waters....taken from the them and prices now at day rates that were equivalent to annual membership. Lower Lydbrook for example.

Personally I would look at Geoffs suggestion for a v nice scenic trip rather than canoe alongside the A40 for much of the way!!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
you state that the Wye and Usk foundation is not a good source to contact

I didn't say that at all.

The upper river has fewer coarse fish the further up one travels. Somewhere between Glasbury and Builth the barbel fade out so for coarse fishing you need to ignore the upper river and concentrate on the middle and lower reaches. That's why I don't mention anything upstream of our stretch.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I didn't say that at all.

The upper river has fewer coarse fish the further up one travels. Somewhere between Glasbury and Builth the barbel fade out so for coarse fishing you need to ignore the upper river and concentrate on the middle and lower reaches. That's why I don't mention anything upstream of our stretch.

Oh right, OK Geoff, no worries mate :)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Tom are you thinking of camping? If so, here's a possible fishing/ canoeing/ camping itinerary:

Day one: canoe from Preston on Wye to lucksall park 18 miles (- maybe fishing in the evening at Lucksall)

Day two - fish all day at Lucksall park

Day three - canoe from Lucksall to Ross on Wye 19 miles.

I think you should be able to do that with Hereford Canoe Hire

Lucksall is a great site, good facilities. You may need to get day tickets for their stretch in advance in the tackle shop in Hereford (they don't sell them for the park side anymore) It's HDAA, £7 a day I think. That said, if you're starting from Preston, you'll likely have to drive through Hereford to get there.