Trotting and the biggest barbel.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
My biggest was 13:14 fairly recently with any number of smaller doubles over many years.

Typical set up under a fat balsa is 6lb main line 4lb/5lb hooklink to a #14/#16 with maggot/caster. If using meat or corn I tend to step everything up a bit. I have various 13ft "power" and "medium" rods with my favourite being a very old Greys "power float". Always matched to a centrepin with the line coming off the bottom! :)

Philip

Reaction score
I would never go against what Keith had to say concerning the use of a CP but I don't understand the mechanics of why line coming off the top would allow more pressure to be put on, could someone that understands this explain please.

I may be wrong but I dont think this is to do with total pressure because as far as I can see if you cup the spool and stop it spinning you apply the same pressure regardless of where the line is coming off.

I think this may have something to do with the explanation I have seen given from time to time which is about thumb pressure on the spool. If the line is coming off the bottom when a fish takes line the reel is turning in a direction back towards your body & thus when you apply thumb pressure (to the top of the spool) the reel is pushing against your thumb joint & pushing your thumb closed.

Whereas if its coming off the top the reel is turning away from your body and pulling against your already open thumb

The concept being you have more control & can apply more pressure when its off the top as your thumb is already in its fully extended position whereas coming off the bottom you battling to keep you thumb open and thus apply less pressure and less control.

Make sense ?

No I know, i dont buy it either ...but please dont blame me ...I am just repeating what I heard. :D

dicky123

Reaction score
This last season I've been trying line off the top on my pin. I'm going back to off the bottom. If it was good enough for John Wilson, then its good enough for me!

I just cannot get use to it to be honest, and see no benefit. Just because a good angler says something, doesn't mean we all have to follow like sheep. If it works for you then brilliant. For me batting back and playing fish 'seem' much easier. off the bottom

I'm also on 5lb Drennan float fish on the pin this year, rather than 6lb Daiwa sensor. I love the feel of float fish, I just hope like the Daiwa it breaks higher than stated. Someone told me Gardner Hydro clear was excellent as a main line and I've ordered a spool just to see.

Reaction score
Try one spool of silstar matchteam(two fills),i'd like to think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try one spool of silstar matchteam(two fills),i'd like to think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I use match team and it's my favorite hooklength material. I know you could use it as a mainline but I thought it was designed as a hooklength material.

Reaction score
It's tremendous on the pin,I use it in 6.6lb(0.18mm)and 7.9lb(0.20 I believe),lays and runs lovely...great for barbel and chub.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's tremendous on the pin,I use it in 6.6lb(0.18mm)and 7.9lb(0.20 I believe),lays and runs lovely...great for barbel and chub.

I agree it is great line and I'm certain it would be my line of choice if I had any issues with sensor. I might just try it one day, prolly in the 7.9 test straight through ;).

mikench

Reaction score
I agree it is great line and I'm certain it would be my line of choice if I had any issues with sensor. I might just try it one day, prolly in the 7.9 test straight through ;).

Now now Ian you cannot abandon Sensor in favour of another when I have a lifetimes supply!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now now Ian you cannot abandon Sensor in favour of another when I have a lifetimes supply!:rolleyes:

Abandon sensor!....not a chance Mike. When I use a hooklength it is either Silstar match or Prestons but nearly always silstar as I prefer it. I've never tired it as a mainline and as I say I might give it a go one day if i've run out of sensor!