Umbrellas

Reaction score
Steve,I attach 50" brollies to my Penrose frame,it would fly away,but I peg the brolly down if windy,and put my carryall strap around a leg in less windy condition,that is so heavy it's like i'm sitting on it and that's heavy,it isn't moving...

nottskev

Reaction score
I always take a full size angling brolly with me, but sometimes it is left in the car.

With the small brollies that attach to a seat box, isn’t there a risk of the umbrella plus seat box doing a Mary Poppins when you get up to go for a leak or need to unhook a fish on a mat?

I guess there must be. Just as there's a risk that some will stand on their own rods or poles, impale themselves on hooks, fall in etc. :) The much smaller surface area makes it less likely. It is fitted with two cords to tie it down, and I wouldn't wander off and leave it up in a wind.

rayner

Reaction score
By the look of it, I reckon I may be able to manage to perform with a 41" brolly, I will investigate further.
The only wind to blow my chair in with me seated would have to be storm force. Once seated I never move.
A brolly of any kind can fly if not tied down.

bracket

Reaction score
Glad you got sorted Kev. I personally cannot abide umbrellas, poxy things. I prefer to use a good storm-proof weather suit plus a bait apron with a pocket flap and let the weather do what it likes. Pete.

Steve King

Reaction score
A brolly attached to the ground by a spike (particularly something like the solid Gardner spiral spike) it is going to be inherently more stable than a brolly attached to a seat box unless you peg every leg of the seat box!

Anyway I’m not switching from a big brolly and I do not own a seatbox!

Reaction score
Many fisheries have concrete or wooden platforms though Steve,the wooden ones could have three feet of water under them,there are many venues where getting a brolly pole in far enough is impossible,in fact two venues I spent most of last season fishing are in that category.

seth49

Reaction score
One of the waters I fish the majority of the pegs are made from recycled plastic, there very good too, they’ve a rough finish so not slippery, and won’t rot either, should last indefinitely.

Anyway each peg has a metal tube inserted, closed at the bottom and a collar at the top which is screwed into one the plastic rails, it works well a brolly is a good fit and it’s very stable.

nottskev

Reaction score
A brolly attached to the ground by a spike (particularly something like the solid Gardner spiral spike) it is going to be inherently more stable than a brolly attached to a seat box unless you peg every leg of the seat box!

Anyway I’m not switching from a big brolly and I do not own a seatbox!

Obviously so. But I'm not posting about what's most stable, or even what's best, but about what for health reasons I can manage to carry, and which gives some benefit without the drawbacks. For the same reasons, I search out the lightest seatboxes - see pic - commensurate with some capacity and comfort; someone pointing out their bigger one can carry more wouldn't really be helping.

flightliner

Reaction score
I rather like this one Kev! ?
IMG_20210508_105855.jpg

Reaction score
I used to use something similar as a bait brolly in the summer. it was one from mothercare that clamped onto prams or pushchairs,
Now I paid out for a hooded Ventalite side tray.

bloody hell,a rich man indeed,wouldn't want to lug your gear,if not for weight,sheer bulk,lol....